Discrimination at Your School (Uniform Complaint Procedure)
SFUSD's Non-Discrimination/Harassment Policies
SFUSD prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment.
- Non-Discrimination/Harassment Policy (Board Policy 5145.3) (Español | 中文)
- Non-Discrimination/Harassment Policy (Administrative Regulation 5145.3 ) (Español | 中文)
SFUSD Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP)
SFUSD has the primary responsibility to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations, and shall investigate complaints alleging failure to comply with those laws and regulations alleging discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying and unauthorized charging of pupil fees for educational activities. SFUSD seeks to resolve complaints early and through informal resolution whenever possible and appropriate. To resolve complaints which cannot be resolved through early, informal process, the district shall seek to resolve those complaints in accordance with the procedures set out in Sections 4600-4687 of the Title 5 Regulations and the policies and procedures of the District.
Complaints investigated through UPC
SFUSD utilizes the UPC to investigate and resolve complaints related to the following:
- Unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying based on actual or perceived disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation.
- Bullying or hazing.
- Complaints alleging failure to comply with state or federal law in adult basic education, consolidated categorical aid programs, migrant education, vocational education, child care and development programs and special education programs.
- LAU violations
The following complaints shall not be subject to SFUSD’s UPC but shall be referred to the specific agency:
- Any complaint alleging child abuse or neglect [referred to the Count Department of Social Services, the County Protective Services Division, and the appropriate law enforcement agency]
- Any complaint alleging health and safety violations by a child development program [referred to Department of Social Services (licensed facilities) or Child Development regional administrator (licensing-exempt facilities).
- Any complaint alleging employment discrimination [referred to California Department of Fair Employment and Housing]
- Any complaints alleging fraud [referred to California Department of Education].
- Any complaints related to sufficiency of textbooks or instructional materials, emergency or urgent facilities conditions that pose a threat to the health or safety of students or staff, or teacher vacancies or misassignments [see Williams Uniform Complaints]
Scope of Investigations (5 CCR 4630)
A complaint must be initiated by filing a complaint not later than six months from the date of the alleged discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying occurred, or a date the complaint first had knowledge of the alleged discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying.
The period for filing may be extended by the Director of Equity for good cause for a period not to exceed 90 days following the expiration of the six month time period.
Timeline for Investigations (5 CCR 5631)
SFUSD shall complete its investigation within 60 calendar days from the date of receipt of the complaint unless the complainant agrees in writing to an extension of the timeline.
SFUSD Uniform Complaint Policies
- Uniform Complaint Procedures (Board Policy 1312.3) (Español | 中文)
- Uniform Complaint Procedures (Administrative Regulation 1312.3) (Español | 中文)
- Uniform Complaint Procedure form (Español | 中文)
What to you do if you have a concern?
Contact Office of Family Voice (OVF) for immediate issues and concerns.
Office of Family Voice555 Franklin Street, 1st Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
OFV can help navigate urgent issues and help to resolve the matter informally. If your complaint falls within one of the above categories and is unable to be resolved with the assistance of OFV, you should submit all Uniform Complaints, using the above form, to:
Office of Equity555 Franklin Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102