Application and Hiring Process
The following information will guide you through the process of applying to SFUSD, how to express interest in specific openings, and what happens once a job offer has been made.
Current SFUSD EmployeesLearn more about the Voluntary Transfer Process.
Applying to SFUSD
- Please review our certificated teaching eligibility requirements before completing our online application in SearchSoft.
- Apply now with our online application.
- Click on "Create New Account" to start an application.
- You will be prompted to electronically attach your resume to your application.
- You will also be prompted to:
- Include contact information for 1 reference
- Respond to 1 short answer questions
- Provide credential information
- Provide employment and education history
- Once your application is submitted, we will review your qualifications. After your application has been reviewed, you will be notified of your status via email. If you pass the initial screening, you will be eligible for hire within SFUSD.
After Application Completion
Once you receive notice from SFUSD that you have passed the initial screening, you can view and apply for specific open positions:
- To view and apply for specific positions, log into SearchSoft using the same username and password that you used for your application.
- Go to the "Jobs" tab.
- Search available positions and click "View/Apply."
Keep in MindYou can apply for multiple positions as long as you meet the requirements.
SFUSD-eligible applicantions can be viewed by principals and HR staff. You should log back in to your application periodically to apply for new positions as they are posted. You should also update your application with any changes to your contact information, previous experience, or credentials.
The Hiring Process
- After applying, a school site administrator or a Human Resources staff member will contact you directly if you are selected for an interview.
- Please keep in mind that most school sites receive a large number of applications.
- After the interview process, principals will recommend their chosen candidate to Human Resources for hire.
- Human Resources will complete a full credential and background check to confirm candidate eligibility.
Note: The San Francisco Unified School District is committed to maintaining an educational environment where all persons who participate in school programs and activities can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of all forms of harassment or intimidation. The Board prohibits sexual harassment of students, employees or other persons, at school or at school-sponsored or school-related activities. San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
After You Are Hired
Upon HR review, a member of the recruitment team will contact you to schedule an appointment for fingerprinting and paperwork. You will also receive an email from HR with all of the documents you will need to complete prior to starting. These forms are located below for your reference.
Employment is contingent upon fingerprint clearance, reference checks, credential compliance, and completion of all necessary hiring paperwork.
All new employees will be required to:
- Get fingerprinted at 555 Franklin Street. Visit this website to schedule a fingerprint appointment. Please bring with you: Photo ID (state-issued ID, driver’s license, or passport); Cashier’s check or money order payable to SFUSD: $49 if you already have a California credential or California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) clearance; $98 if you do not have a California credential or CCTC clearance.
- Obtain a recent negative TB Risk Assessment Certificate (preferred) or TB test result. We must have a copy of a signed TB Risk Assessment Certificate or negative TB test result completed within the last 60 days.