To apply for school, all families must fulfill the SFUSD residency requirements. Once you have decided on a list of schools to apply for (go to the How to Find a School/Program page if you need help finding a school), you can begin filling out the application form. The parent or legal guardian of the student will need to bring the required documents to submit the application in person to the Educational Placement Center. The application deadline is January 13, 2017 for the March Placement Period (Round One) of the 2017-18 enrollment process.
Children starting Transitional Kindergarten or Kindergarten must meet certain age requirements.
The application process consists of several rounds:
- Round One: March Placement Period (Oct 31, 2016 - Jan 13, 2017): This is when most parents turn in their applications. Assignment letters are sent out by mail on March 17, 2017.
- Round Two: May Placement Period (Jan 16 - Apr 14, 2017): Parents who did not submit an application for Round One or parents who would hope to get a higher choice school assignment than their Round One assignment can apply during the May Placement Period. Assignment letters are sent out by mail on May 12, 2017.
- Waiting Pool Period (May 15 - Sep 1, 2017): If you would like to continue to participate in the assignment process or would like to apply for a higher-choice school, you may submit a wait pool request for ONE SCHOOL for the Waiting Pool Process by May 24, 2017 (Round 3), July 21, 2017 (Round 4) or by August 11, 2017 (Round 5). Applications submitted for the Waiting Pool process will stay active for all assignment runs conducted in July, August, and until the end of the enrollment process which ends on September 1, 2017. The Waiting Pool process will be conducted in June through August, prior to the beginning of school, and continue throughout the first two weeks of school as openings occur.
|Deadline to submit, change, or cancel the waiting pool request:||Notification (only if an assignment to the waiting pool school can be offered):|
|May 24, 2017 (Round 3)||Jun 19, 2017 (Round 3)|
|Jul 21, 2017 (Round 4)||Aug 4, 2017 (Round 4)|
|Aug 11, 2017 (Round 5)||Aug 25–Sep 1, 2017 (Round 5)|
Selection for Rounds One, Two, and the Waiting Pool process are done by computer using our student assignment algorithm. If a school has more applicants than open spaces, assignment is determined by a series of tie-breakers.
- Available School Assignment Period (ASAP) (Jun 14 - Sep 1, 2017): The schools that have space left from Round Two and do not have a waiting pool will be available for immediate placement during the Available School Assignment Period. Any student may be assigned immediately into a school with openings that does not have any waiting pool requests pending. Students who receive an assignment through the Available School Assignment Period may still opt to submit a wait pool request as long as the request is submitted by the specified deadline listed above.
Things you need to know if you:
- Apply for Early Education School
- Apply for Transitional Kindergarten
- Apply for Elementary School
- Apply for Middle School
- Apply for High School (including Lowell and SOTA)
Discovery Workshops guide you through the application and enrollment process for children starting Kindergarten, students new to SFUSD, and students who will be moving into middle and high school. Staff from the Educational Placement Center are available at each of these enrollment workshops to provide important information about key dates; clarify the placement policy, application, and enrollment processes; and collect enrollment applications. School guides, enrollment applications, and other supporting documents will be available at all workshops in English, Spanish, and Chinese. You will have an opportunity to ask your questions about the process. Translation services will be provided.
Satellite Collection Sites
For your convenience, the satellite collection sites have been established to collect completed applications from families. At these satellite collection sites, you can turn in your enrollment application and all your documents.
Learn more about the SFUSD enrollment process and schools
View our General Enrollment Workshop presentation and our new enrollment guide for the 2017-18 school year.
- 2017-18 General Enrollment Workshop | printer-friendly version
- 2017-18 Lowell 9th Grade Enrollment Workshop | printer-friendly version
- 2017-18 Enrollment Guide
- 2017-18 Schools Map
- Address Look-up Tool
- Interactive School Selector
- School Profiles and Tours
When is the
best time to submit an application for the 2017-18 enrollment process?
For the best chances for your schools of choice, apply during the March Placement Period (Round One). Submit your application by January 13, 2017.
What if I
don’t like the school assigned to me in Round One?
After round one, you can still choose to participate in round two to try for an assignment to a higher choice school. As long as you have registered at your assigned school from round one, you will still keep that spot unless you get a higher choice school assignment. After round two, there will be a waiting pool process for the schools that are full. Families may submit a waiting pool request for one school and their child’s name will be added to that particular school’s waiting pool. If space becomes available, a computer assignment run will be done and the selected student from the waiting pool will be notified on the specified date. The waiting pool process is an on-going assignment process for the months of July, August, and September. Once the Waiting Pool Request Form is submitted, families do not need to re-activate their waiting pool request for each subsequent waiting pool run.
How does the Available School Assignment Period (ASAP) work?
The Available School Assignment Period is a manual assignment process that begins on June 14, 2017. After the two rounds of assignment, a large number of schools will be at capacity. The schools that are full may have a waiting pool. Yet, there will be some schools that still have openings and do not have a waiting pool. These schools will be made available during the Available School Assignment Period. At that time, any student may be assigned immediately into a school with openings that does not have any waiting pool requests pending. Students who receive an assignment through the Available School Assignment Period may still opt to submit a waiting pool request as long as the request is submitted by the specified deadline.
Print out the enrollment application and other forms in the Application Forms section.