Skip Navigation  
boy with book in hand

Enrollment Policies

Age Requirements (2019-20 School Year)

California law now requires that a child must be five years old on or before September 1, 2019 to be legally eligible for Kindergarten and six years old on or before September 1, 2018 to be legally eligible for first grade.

Students who will have their fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2, 2019 are eligible for a Transitional Kindergarten program for the 2019-20 school year. Transitional Kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. 
Note: If you sign and submit the enrollment application, and your child meets the age eligibility for Transitional Kindergarten, your child will be enrolled in a Transitional K program for the 2019-20 school year and will be required to apply for a Kindergarten assignment for the 2020-21 school year by submitting an application available in October 2019.

Residency Requirements

A minor’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have physical custody of the minor. In order to be enrolled in SFUSD, the student’s parent/legal guardian must continually reside in San Francisco at the time of application and for the entire period of enrollment in SFUSD.  

This residency policy does not apply to homeless students.

Please download the Frequently Asked Questions about the SFUSD Residency Policy for more information.

Definition of Residency

For the purpose of this policy, a resident is an individual who is a full time occupant of a dwelling located in San Francisco and who, on any given day, is likely to be at his/her stated address when not at work or school. In determining the place of residence the following rules shall be observed:

  1. It is the place where one remains when not called elsewhere for labor or other special or temporary purpose, and to which he/she returns in seasons of repose.
  2. There can only be one residence.
  3. A residence cannot be lost until another is gained.
  4. The residence of the parent/guardian with whom an unmarried minor child maintains his/her place of abode is the residence of such unmarried minor child.
  5. The residence can be changed only by the union of act and intent.
If the parents are separated and live at different addresses, the pupil must physically reside with the parent in San Francisco for at least 50% of the time during the regular school year.

Temporary residence in San Francisco, solely for the purpose of attending a SFUSD school, shall not be considered residency. A person who owns property in San Francisco, but does not reside in San Francisco, is not considered a resident. 

Required Documents 

See a list of necessary documents you need to enroll your child here.

These documents also will be required for any change of address and may be requested for transitional students entering 6th or 9th grade.

Special Situations

A student may also establish residency by providing official documentation deemed sufficient to the District to show that s/he is an emancipated minor living in SF; is in the court-appointed care of a licensed foster home, family home or licensed children’s institution within SF; is confined to a hospital or residential care in SF for treatment of a temporary disability; lives with a caregiving adult; or has obtained an interdistrict permit.  Enrollment in a particular school may be denied if District staff determine that the student resides with a caregiver rather than the parent solely for the purpose of attending a particular school.

The Superintendent is directed to outline the types of documentation that will be considered sufficient in an Administrative Regulation.

Undocumented Students

Any child whose family resides in San Francisco is guaranteed access to a free public education in SFUSD.  No family will be denied access to school because of their immigration status.

Verification of Residency  

The Superintendent or designee may annually verify, at the Superintendent’s discretion, the student’s residency and retain a copy of the document(s) offered as verification of residency in the student’s mandatory permanent record.

If the Superintendent or designee reasonably believes or has a reasonable suspicion that the parent/guardian of a student has provided false or unreliable evidence of residency, the Superintendent or designee is authorized to make reasonable efforts to determine whether the student meets District residency requirements.

In order to verify residency, SFUSD reserves the right to request additional documents and/or to conduct an investigation.  Because residency can change for students and their families during the school year, SFUSD may verify residency at any time, or may require proof of continued residency at such intervals (e.g. monthly, quarterly, annually) as may be deemed appropriate, including in transitional grades.  The Director of the Education Placement Center is the designee charged with overseeing residency fraud investigations.  The EPC Director may utilize District staff or private investigators to conduct residency investigations as the EPC Director and/or designee deems reasonably appropriate.

Students Who Move 

If the parent/guardian who has physical custody of the student(s) moves to a new address at any time after submitting the application for enrollment, s/he must submit a Change of Address form to the Education Placement Center within 14 days following the move.  Students who move out of San Francisco but wish to remain in a SFUSD school shall apply for an interdistrict permit from the new district of residence.  Interdistrict permits shall be processed in accordance with District procedure. 

If the parent/guardian fails to submit a Change of Address form within 14 days of their move, the student’s enrollment may be revoked.

Revocation of Enrollment 

If the Superintendent or designee reasonably determines in their discretion that a student’s enrollment and/or school placement is based on a false claim of residency, address, guardianship/caregiver, or any other false information, the student’s enrollment will be revoked. 


If the District finds that the student is not a resident of San Francisco, the student will be dropped from enrollment in the District and required to enroll in school in the student’s actual district of residence.  For one year after the revocation, the pupil will not be eligible to apply for an interdistrict permit to any oversubscribed school.

However, the student will be immediately eligible to apply for an interdistrict permit to attend an undersubscribed school that has space at the time of application, including their original school if it is undersubscribed.  Such applications will be processed in accordance with District procedures. 


If the District finds that the student is a San Francisco resident, but has obtained a particular school assignment based on other false information or moved to San Francisco after the District’s discovery of their non-residency, the student will be dropped from the assigned school that was obtained with false information and will be re-enrolled in an undersubscribed school that has space at the time of re-enrollment.*  Residents who have had their enrollment revoked due to violation of this policy shall not be eligible to participate in any choice placement process into an oversubscribed school for one year after revocation.

*One exception to this rule is that residents found to be in violation of this policy may remain in their assigned school if (1) it is an undersubscribed school, (2) there is space and no outstanding choice requests at the time of revocation.  

“Undersubscribed school” is defined as a school that was not full and did not have outstanding choice requests at the beginning of the current school year.  “Oversubscribed school” is defined as a school that was full and had outstanding choice requests at the beginning of the current school year.

Families who are determined to have violated this policy shall be charged for the time and expenses that the District incurs to complete its investigation.  If enrollment has been revoked, an interdistrict permit to attend school in San Francisco will not be granted for one year after revocation.

In addition to recovering investigation costs, the District reserves the right to pursue additional civil and criminal legal action against individuals who have submitted false information to the District to obtain enrollment in an SFUSD school, including without limitation prosecution of a claim for violation of Government Code § 12650 et seq. for false claims violations.  The Board delegates to the General Counsel the authority to settle false residency claims.

The Education Placement Center shall send the parent/guardian a letter notifying them of the District’s preliminary determination that the student does not reside in San Francisco.  The letter shall inform the parent/guardian that the student is suspected of living outside of San Francisco; shall list the suspected address outside of San Francisco; and will notify the parent/guardian of their right to challenge this preliminary determination within 7 days.

Appeal of Revocation of Enrollment 

A parent/guardian has the right to appeal the District’s residency determination.  Once the District receives notice of the intent to appeal, the District will provide an appeal form and a summary of evidence used to support the residency determination.  The parent/guardian will then have 14 days to submit a narrative and supporting documentation in support their appeal to the Educational Placement Center.  The student will remain enrolled in the SFUSD school until the decision to revoke enrollment is sustained or reversed.  This decision shall be final. 

In enforcing this policy, the EPC Director acts under the discretion of the Superintendent.  The student may remain in school until the appeal is exhausted.


If the parent/guardian fails to submit a notice of intent to appeal within 14 days after receipt of the notification letter, the student’s enrollment shall be terminated on the 15th day after receipt of the notice.  This decision shall be final.

Report residency fraud!

Call our hotline at 415.522.6783 or e-mail at


Students who live at the same address and have the same parent/guardian are considered siblings. 

Younger siblings can be assigned to their older sibling’s school if the older sibling will still be attending during the upcoming school year, and if space is available. If placement in the older sibling’s school is desired, we strongly recommend that you list the older sibling’s school on the application form as your first choice. If you do not list the older sibling’s school as the first choice, there is a possibility that the student will be placed in a different school. We also recommend that you list other schools also in the event there is a lack of space in the older sibling’s school.

An older sibling will not receive a priority to attend a younger sibling’s school. The purpose of the sibling priority is to assist families with multiple children to enroll their children in a school together, not to provide a placement priority into multiple schools. Additionally, we strive to assign younger siblings into an older sibling’s school as allowable by space, but may not necessarily be able to assign the sibling into the same program (such as language programs).
We encourage you to list additional schools in the event that space is unavailable in the older sibling’s school or program.

Siblings who are applying for school at the same time for different grade levels cannot be guaranteed placement into the same school. There is a possibility that new siblings applying for school may be assigned to different schools based on space availability. Some families, in fact, choose to have the siblings attend different schools. There is no way we will know you desire to keep siblings together if different schools are listed in a different order of preference.

Twins, triplets and multiples

If placement into the same school is desired for twins, triplets and multiples, each application should indicate the same school choices in the same order.  The parent/guardian must indicate on the enrollment application check box that they wish to have their twins or multiples placed in the same school.  When one twin is assigned to a choice school, the student assignment process will seek to place the other twin into the same school if space is available. If an assignment cannot be offered to one of the requested schools, then the twins will be assigned together into the school closest to home with openings as space allows.

If you choose ‘No’ on the check box, then twins, triplets or multiples will go into the assignment process as individual students.  In the event that multiples are separated in the assignment process, a sibling tie-breaker will be assigned to the sibling requesting placement into the other sibling’s school for any subsequent placement period.

Frequently Asked Questions About Twins and Multiples

Immunizations & Medical Conditions

Preschoolers must have a complete physical exam within 12 months prior to entering preschool.  Kindergartners must have a complete physical examination within 6 months prior to entering school. First graders must have a physical examination within 18 months prior to entering school.  Students new to SFUSD must bring their current immunization records to their school of assignment when registering.

Does Your Child have a Medical Condition?

If your child has a health condition that may affect his/her educational needs, please indicate this on the “Special Needs” section of the application form and also staple a letter to the application form providing a brief description of his/her special needs. The letter should provide information about any serious, documented medical condition but should not include information about the medical condition of relatives or other non-medical issues, such as transportation.  Please have your child’s healthcare provider complete an “Emergency Care Plan” so that your child will receive the proper care for his/her health condition while at school.  If your child needs medication at school, your child’s physician must complete a “Medication Form” for each medication to be taken. 

Emergency Care Plan forms and Medication Forms can be obtained from the Student, Family, and Community Support Department (SFCSD). Students enrolling for the first time in SFUSD must provide TB test results, dated within one year of entrance or a physician statement that the child is not at risk for having TB. California law requires that by May 31 each year, students in kindergarten (or first grade if it is their first year in public school) submit proof of an oral health assessment performed by a licensed dental health professional.

Parent’s Guide to Immunization Requirements

According to the California School Immunization Law, children must have their required immunizations (shots) before they can attend school.

Children entering child care should have:
Age When Enrolling: Immunizations Required:

  • 2-3 months: 1 DTaP, 1 Polio, 1 Hep B, 1 Hib
  • 4-5 months: 2 DTaP, 2 Polio, 2 Hep B, 2 Hib
  • 6-14 months: 3 DTaP, 2 Polio, 2 Hep B, 2 Hib
  • 15-17 months: 3 DTaP, 3 Polio, 2 Hep B, 1 MMR, 1 Hib
  • 18 months-4 years: 4 DTaP, 3 Polio, 3 Hep B, 1 MMR, 1 Hib, 1 Varicella

TB Skin Test (all students entering SFUSD)

  • within one year of entering the SFUSD or signature of health examiner attesting to no risk factors for TB

Children entering kindergarten through 6th grade should have:

  • 5 DTaP (4 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday)
  • 4 Polio (3 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday)
  • 3 Hepatitis B
  • 2 MMR (both on or after 1st birthday)
  • 1 Varicella (a second dose is recommended)
  • TB Skin test

Children entering 7-12 grade should have:

  • All immunizations above PLUS
  • Tdap (whooping cough) booster

Mobility and Vision Impairments

The District will consider the enrollment requests of students with mobility and/or vision impairments on the basis of the accessibility of requested schools. If a student with a mobility or vision impairment has a sibling or siblings who wish to enroll in the same school as the child with a vision or mobility impairment, those siblings will be placed in accordance with the current enrollment policies and procedures.

Hearing Impairments

Speech and language therapists for the schools listed below have received specialized training to address the needs of special education students with hearing impairments. SFUSD has provided, and will continue to provide, these speech therapists with training in technologies and strategies to assist students with hearing impairments.

Toddler 18-36 months
Tule Elk

César Chávez

Elementary School
César Chávez
Claire Lilienthal (K-8)

Middle School
Claire Lilienthal (K-8)

High School
John O’Connell

Inter-District Transfers

If  you are a resident of San Francisco and wish for your child to attend a public school outside of San Francisco, you must submit an interdistrict permit to the EPC. The parent/guardian should bring a current verification of the San Francisco home address. Beginning in January, permits are processed and approved or disapproved on a weekly basis and forwarded to the requested district. Final approval is made by the requested district.

If your student wishes to attend a San Francisco public school and you do not live in San Francisco, you must obtain an interdistrict permit from your current public school district of residence. The interdistrict transfer agreement permit is required for anyone living outside of San Francisco who wishes to attend or continue attending a San Francisco public school. It is an annual permit and must be on file for each school year. Interdistrict transfer request students cannot be guaranteed enrollment in SFUSD.

Interdistrict attendance permits may be approved for any of the following reasons:

  • To meet the child care needs of the student.
  • The parent/guardian is employed within the city of San Francisco.
  • When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family’s attendance.
  • To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during the year.
  • When there is a valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence.
  • A pupil who has been determined by personnel of either the district of residence or the district of proposed enrollment to have been the victim of an act of bullying, as defined in subdivision (r) of Section 48900, committed by a pupil of the district of residence shall, at the request of the person having legal custody of the pupil, be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, be given additional consideration for the creation of an interdistrict attendance agreement.

We review requests five weeks before the start of the new school year (not earlier). First we need to make school placement offers to students from the city of San Francisco.  We recommend that students who do not reside in San Francisco enroll in their district of residence in the event that SFUSD is unable to assign the child to a requested school.

We can grant interdistrict transfers only on a space-available basis, and we reserve the right to determine whether or not to accept interdistrict transfer requests. We also reserve the right to limit the number of incoming students and establish priorities according to types of requests.

We cannot grant interdistrict transfers if the cost of educating the student would exceed the amount of state aid received as a result of the transfer.

Also, we cannot grant interdistrict transfers to high demand schools, i.e., schools that are filled to capacity at the end of the first placement period.

To apply for an interdistrict permit to attend SFUSD, you must first apply in your own district of residence. Each school district has individual timelines and requirements for interdistrict applications. If and when the permit is approved by the district of residence, it will be forwarded to the EPC for approval. EPC will notify the parent/guardian by mail if any additional documentation, such as employment verification, is needed.

A SFUSD enrollment application, reflecting the out-of-district address, must also be submitted along with all other required documents for enrollment. 

Interdistrict transfer students will not be assigned through the regular student assignment process, but will be held until mid-summer when interdistrict placement begins. Placement is made in the order that the applications are received.

Permits for students receiving special education services must be approved by the Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) Director or the Assistant Superintendent of Special Education Services, prior to placement.

If you receive an interdistrict permit, you must renew it each school year. 
The approval of the interdistrict permit is contingent on a student maintaining satisfactory standards of academic progress, behavior, and attendance. Based on these criteria, principals annually recommend approval and/or denial of interdistrict permits.

J1- Foreign Exchange Students

The SFUSD does not currently participate or issue the federal SEVIS generated I-20 form for potential F1 students.

Please visit the or websites for more information on the F1 student visa process.

Approved J1 student exchange organizations must contact the SFUSD Educational Placement Center when requesting placement of a foreign exchange student.

Foreign J1 students are offered an assignment to schools with space. No assignments can be made to schools that lack capacity.

Foreign Transcript Translations

To facilitate the special needs of overseas high school students entering into the San Francisco Unified School District, the Educational Placement Center provides translations of transcript from foreign countries and makes recommendations for proper academic placement in our educational system.

Many countries require different years of schooling and academic requirements for public education. Some countries have 13 years of elementary and secondary education. Others have 11-year systems. Still, others have 10-year systems. High school students who want to enroll into San Francisco public schools should also bring their transcripts from their countries of origin in addition to the required documents. The placement counselors will translate the foreign transcripts and make a placement for an appropriate grade level.

For any additional questions please send your e-mail to:

Mid-Year School Transfers


Transfers during the school year are disruptive for students and schools and will generally not be accepted.  Transfers are not permitted after the enrollment cycle ends in early September except in limited circumstances:

  1. Change of address
  2. Disciplinary action
  3. Safety concerns
  4. IEP Team-approved transfers for special education students 

Change of Address

Parents/guardians who move within San Francisco may be allowed to transfer their children to a school closer to the new residence depending on space/program availability and, for special education, also depending upon the student’s unique needs as set forth in the student’s IEP.  EPC may refer the parent/guardian of the special education student to the student’s IEP Team when such requests are made.  (See “IEP Team-Approved Transfers” below.)

Parents/guardians may submit a request for transfer based on Change of Address by completing a transfer request form and submitting it to the Educational Placement Center (EPC) at 555 Franklin Street, Room 100, telephone: (415) 241-6085. 

A picture ID of the parent/guardian and one proof of the new address must accompany the Change of Address form. The proof of address must contain the name and address of the parent/guardian and must be dated and current.  Any one of the following is acceptable documents:

  • a utility bill dated within 45 days,
  • a current automobile insurance policy and vehicle registration (both count as one proof),
  • homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy,
  • property tax statement,
  • lease,
  • Section 8 agreement,
  • pay stubs,
  • voter registration or
  • a letter mailed to parent/ guardian by a governmental agency (e.g. social services) dated within 45 days.  

These transfers will not be approved after April 15th.

Disciplinary Action

Students may be transferred through Pupil Services as a result of an expulsion hearing or counseling conference.  If a special education student is transferred through Pupil Services as a result of an expulsion hearing or counseling conference, Pupil Services and the sending school will consult with the special education department regarding placement and ensure that a copy of the student’s current IEP is faxed to the receiving school and that education records are forwarded promptly to the receiving school.  If needed, the sending school will participate in an IEP at the receiving school within 30 days.

Safety Concerns

Transfer requests based on student safety concerns may be initiated at the school site by the parent/guardian by submitting a Child Welfare and Attendance Referral and Transition Form (CWART) form with a copy of the police report related to the safety issue, and copies of any other supporting documentation to the Pupil Services Department. 

Transfer requests based on student safety concerns such as threats of bodily harm or threats to emotional stability of the student may be initiated at the school site.  The parent/guardian must submit a CWART form and attach a written statement regarding the safety issue that is from a representative of the appropriate state or local agency, including, but not necessarily limited to, a law enforcement official or a social worker, or properly licensed or registered professionals, including, but not necessarily limited to, psychiatrists, psychologists, or marriage and family therapists; or a court order, including a temporary restraining order and injunction, issued by a judge.  In addition to the required written statement, parents may also include any other supporting documentation. Completed forms should be submitted to the school, which will forward the forms to  Pupil Services  at 727 Golden Gate Avenue, telephone: 241-3030. 

Pupil Services will determine whether a safety transfer is appropriate.  If so, the student will be transferred to a school with space/program availability.  If the student is a special education student,  Pupil Services may refer the parent/guardian to the student’s IEP Team.  (See “IEP Team-Approved Transfers” below.)

IEP Team-Approved Transfers (Special Education)

For special education students, placement is determined through the IEP process.  Change of placement for special education students may occur during the school year if the student’s IEP Team determines this to be appropriate for the student.  Parents/guardians seeking a mid-year change of placement due to special education needs should request an IEP Team meeting through their child’s teacher.  The special education department should convene an IEP meeting within 30 calendar days of the request (not including holiday breaks exceeding five school days), and contact their school’s Special Education Services Content Specialist for assistance.

Exit/Withdrawal Procedures

Any student who will be transferred within SFUSD schools should not be withdrawn in SIS by the school site.  EPC will enter internal SFUSD transfers into SIS if they involve Special Education students, change of program, inter-district transfers or change of address. 

Transfers for safety or disciplinary action will be determined by the Pupil Services Department and will be entered into the SIS by the Pupil Services Department.

 Any student who has withdrawn and is requesting re-enrollment into SFUSD, will be returned to the previous school of enrollment if there are openings and if the openings have not been filled in the enrollment cycle.

New School Year Transfers

Students who are in non-transitional grades may apply for a school or program transfer for the following school year during the enrollment cycle.  The parent must submit an enrollment application listing any number of choices of schools or programs that are preferred over the present assignment according to the key dates for each placement period. 

The assignment of students will be based on space availability during each placement period and assignment offers go out at the same time as all other notifications.

Please note that in non-transitional grades, it is assumed that all students enrolled at the time of placement will be promoted up to the next grade unless there are approved retentions or accelerations.  This may limit space availability.

In the event that there are more requests than openings for a school or program, the appropriate tie-breaker (as outlined in the Policy section) process will be utilized to assign students. 

Transfer requests will be processed for all placement periods and in the waiting pool process.  Students who wish to transfer because of medical reasons or family hardship MUST submit a Medical or Family Hardship Appeal during the enrollment cycle.

Transfers Into or Out of a Language Program

Parents/guardians who wish to transfer their child into or out of a language program  (e.g. change from the Spanish Biliteracy program to the general education program or vice versa) may submit a transfer request to EPC during the enrollment cycle.  Students seeking such a transfer must meet eligibility requirements for the requested program as outlined in the EL Program Guide.  EPC will review the request based on space/program availability, student’s grade level, and student’s language proficiency and/or needs and offer placement based on the student assignment process. 

Parents/guardians may submit a request for transfer based on Change of Program (Language Immersion and Biliteracy Programs) by completing an enrollment application and submitting it to the Educational Placement Center (EPC) at 555 Franklin Street, Room 100, telephone: 241-6085.  Requests for enrollment into or out of a language program within the same school are processed with all other applications according to the eligibility guidelines and the tie-breaker process.  For students who are applying to change programs in the same school, their current enrollment is not a tie-breaker.  Placements are offered during the key dates in the enrollment process.

Transfers of Siblings

Siblings who wish to transfer together should submit an enrollment application at the same time listing the same choice(s) of school(s).  However, it should be noted that assignments are based on space availability and it is possible that siblings will be separated.  Additionally, listing several choices of schools may result in multiple siblings assigned to various schools.

If siblings are separated, then families may submit either an amended application or waiting pool form to request that siblings be re-united.  However, it must also be noted that the sibling tie-breaker will only apply for the younger sibling applying for the older sibling’s school.  There is no guarantee that siblings at different grade levels will always be assigned to the same school in the assignment process.

No-Transfer Period

After the conclusion of the enrollment cycle in September, all waiting pools are dissolved and the district moves into a no-transfer period, even if an opening occurs in a higher requested school.  This minimizes disruptions and movement throughout the school year.

Enrollment of Families and Youth in Transition

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, reauthorized in December 2001, ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness. Children of Families and Youth in Transition (FYIT) who wish to enroll in SFUSD for the first time will enroll at the Educational Placement Center (EPC) located at 555 Franklin Street, Room 100. Please contact the EPC at 241- 6085 or 241-6136. Students may apply to any school in the district provided they meet the admissions requirement if there is one. The actual assignment to a specific school will be based on space availability for the grade level or program need.

The District office for Families and Youth in Transition is located at 727 Golden Gate Avenue, Bungalow 1.  The phone number is (415) 241-3030, ext.13338.

What if a homeless child or youth does not have the documents required for school registration?

  • Schools, agencies, shelters and others may contact a placement counselor at EPC (241-6085 or 241-6136) to start the process for enrollment.
  • The school selected shall immediately enroll the child/youth in school, even if the child or youth lacks records normally required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency, or other documentation (Sec. 722(g)(3)(i)).
  • If a child or youth lacks immunizations or immunization or medical records, the enrolling school can refer parent/guardian to the District Liaison, who shall help obtain necessary immunizations or immunization or medical records. (Sec 722(g)(3)(C)(iii)).
  • The enrolling school must immediately contact the last school attended to obtain relevant academic and other records (Sec. 722(g)(3)(c)(ii)).
  • The terms “enroll” and “enrollment” are defined to include attending classes and participating fully in school activities (Sec. 725(3)).
  • Any record ordinarily kept by the Enrollment of Families and Youth in Transition school, including immunization or medical records, academic records, birth certificates, guardianship records, and evaluations for special services or programs, of each homeless child or youth must be maintained so that the records are available, in a timely fashion (14 days grace period), when a child or youth enters a new school or school district, and in a manner consistent with section 444 of the General Education Provisions Act (Section 722(g)(3)(D).
  • Coordinating services provided to the shelters & others by the District Liaison include Muni fast passes, uniforms, tutoring, and school supplies. Dispute Resolution Process –Local educational agencies (LEAs) must ensure that each homeless child and youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool program, as other children and youths.
    Following are the components for resolving disputes:
    • if a dispute arises over school selection or enrollment, the child/youth must be immediately enrolled in the school in which he/she is seeking enrollment, pending resolution of the dispute (PL 107-110, Section 722(g)(3)(E)(iv)). Enrollment is defined as “attending classes and participating fully in school activities.”
    • The school must refer the student, parent, or guardian to the District Liaison to carry out the dispute resolution process as expeditiously as possible. The Homeless Liaison must ensure that the dispute resolution process is also followed for unaccompanied youths.
    • A written explanation of the school’s decision regarding school selection or enrollment must be provided to the parent, guardian, or unaccompanied youth.
    • If the dispute remains unresolved at the district level or is appealed, then the District Liaison shall forward all written materials to the Executive Director of Pupil Services for review and a decision within 5 working days.
    • If the dispute remains unresolved, the Executive Director of Pupil Services shall forward all documents to the State Homeless Coordinator, Leanne Wheeler.

What children are considered homeless?

  • Children and Youth Living in Shelters, Single Room Occupancy (SRO), Transitional Housing, the Streets, Cars, Abandoned Buildings, and Other Inadequate Accommodations are considered homeless.
  • Children and Youth Living in Trailer Parks and Camping Grounds: Children living temporarily in trailer parks or camping areas because they lack adequate accommodations are considered homeless. But, if they are living there on a long-term basis in adequate accommodations they are not deemed homeless.
  • Doubled up Children and Youth: Children living in housing that their family shares with other families or individuals are considered homeless if they are doubled-up due to a loss of housing. But families who are voluntarily doubled-up to save money generally are not considered homeless.
    Foster Children and Youth: In general, children in foster homes are not considered homeless. But children placed in foster homes because of their parents’ lack of shelter are deemed homeless. Also, children living in an emergency shelter or transitional living facility because there is nowhere else to send them while they are awaiting placement in a foster home or home for neglected children are considered homeless – until the placement is made.
  • Hospitalized Children and Youth: Children who are ready for discharge but remain hospitalized because their families have abandoned them are considered homeless. Children who were homeless prior to hospitalization are considered homeless while in the hospital unless regular and adequate accommodations will be made available to them upon discharge.
    Incarcerated Children and Youth: Children who are under the care of the State and are held in an institution because they have no other place to live are considered homeless.
  • Migratory Children and Youth: Children of migrant workers are considered homeless only to the extent that they are staying in accommodations not fit for habitation.
  • Runaways: Children who have run away from home and live in runaway shelters, on the streets, in abandoned buildings, or other “inadequate accommodations” even if their parents have and are willing to provide a home for them, are considered homeless.
  • Unaccompanied Youth: Children whose parents or guardians will not permit them to live at home are considered homeless if they live on the streets, in shelters, or other transitional or inadequate accommodations.
  • Unwed Mothers: School-age children or youth who are living in homes for unwed and expectant mothers and have no other available living accommodations are considered homeless. But, if they are in such homes only to receive specific services, and intend to move to other adequate accommodations, they are not considered homeless.

In those cases in which children do not fit neatly into one of these clear categories, state and local educational agencies must make case-by-case determinations.

Great things are happening for our kids in San Francisco public schools.