Skip Navigation  

Financial Aid Information and Resources

All SFUSD 12th graders can (and should) apply for financial aid! In order to qualify for aid students must complete the Dream ACT Application or the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Dream Act Application for AB540 (Undocumented) Students

The California Dream Act of 2011 is the result of two bills, Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130) and Assembly Bill 131 (AB 131). Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB 540 Bill (see below) to apply for and receive state-administered financial aid, university grants, and community college fee waivers (AB 131) and private scholarships funneled through public universities (AB 130).

For more college resources for undocumented students and families, please visit our AB540 homepage

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and easier than ever, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college or career school. You will need a federal student aid PIN in order to apply electronically.

The FAFSA is available January 1. There are different deadlines for different programs. View more details on how to get started.

You filled out your FAFSA and submitted it. What happens next?

Free Tax Preparation

Getting ready for financial aid? Don’t forget about your taxes! In order to apply for financial aid, your parents must file taxes. Avoid hidden fees with free tax preparation at more than 200 Bay Area Earn It Keep It Save It locations. Trained preparers will take the worry out of your taxes. You will need your taxes prepared so you can apply for FAFSA or the Dream Act!

Cal Grants

Cal Grants are funded by the State of California. The awards do not have to be paid back and can be used for tuition, room and board, and even school supplies such as books and pencils. Find out more from the California Student Aid Commission or the Cal Grants website.

How to apply:

  1. Complete and submit FAFSA or Dream Act application.
    • For a Cal Grant, the FAFSA or Dream Act application must be completed and filed with the federal processor by March 4 *.
    • If you will be mailing your FAFSA application, make a copy for your records and obtain a Certificate of Mailing ($1.15 in addition to postage) from the post office so that you can verify the date you mailed your form.
  2. File a verified grade point average (GPA) with the California Student Aid Commission. SFUSD high schools automatically file their students’ verified GPAs with the Commission.
  3. Check the status of your Cal Grants application by registering at Web Grants for Students. This secure site will let you view the status of your Cal Grant or Chafee Grant application, update your address, view payment history or report your college of attendance to the Commission.

Now that you have applied: If you receive a letter stating you were disqualified for a Cal Grant and you feel this was in error, you may be able to submit an appeal, depending on your reason.

Cash for College Events

Have questions or need help completing your financial aid forms? Cash for College is California's public-private partnership FAFSA completion program administered by the California Student Aid Commission and its regional and local partners.

California Cash for College puts California dreams into action by helping students complete the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. Students who apply for financial aid take action to enroll into education beyond high school.

This year many SFUSD high schools will participate in Cash for College nights. Any SFUSD student is welcome to attend any SFUSD Cash for College event. Download the schedule.

Scholarships for SFUSD Seniors

To learn about scholarships for SFUSD seniors, please visit ConnectEDU.