Hire a Summer Intern
Hosting an intern is one of the single most important things a business or individual can give. Providing perspective and guidance to a young person as they navigate to adulthood changes lives in addition to building a business's brand recognition and improving the workforce of San Francisco.
SFUSD 11th graders (juniors) have been preparing all year to intern over this summer as part of their industry-specific academy or pathway. During the year, they've been polishing their professional skills by doing interests assessments, business research, outreach phone calls, informational interviews, and job shadows, and now they're ready to spend time in the workplace. During the summer between their junior and senior years, they will need your mentoring while they spend six weeks (16-20 hours/week) as an intern.
The internship program offers a terrific opportunity to work with high school students as they prepare to continue their education or enter the workforce. Supporting student internships leads to a more prepared workforce, provides an opportunity for students to actually engage in the workplace, and also gives many businesses the opportunity to catch up on those projects that never seem to get finished. Hiring a student intern for six weeks this summer is an investment in our community and in our students.
- Internships are for students who will begin their senior year in the fall
- Internships last for six weeks (June 12, 2017 - July 21, 2017)
- Students typically report to work for 16-20 hours per weeks—hours are flexible and can be worked out to match host and student needs
- Students have a variety of working skills and interests developed in their Career Technical Education (CTE) Academy
- Students have been preparing for this experience through previous summer programs and exercises
- SFUSD matches students to employers
- The cost to host an intern is $2400 (students will be paid $13/hr & $14/hr starting July)
If you would like to host a high school summer intern this year, please complete the Employer Application. The High School Summer Internship Program is aligned with the SF Mayor's Youth Jobs+ iniative, and is a collaboration with the Mayor's Office, United Way of the Bay Area (UWBA), Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD), Department of Children, Youth and their Families (DCYF), Jewish Vocational Services (JVS) and SFUSD.
To learn more about the High School Summer Internship Program, please contact:
Bernadette M. Frias, Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Career Technical Education Department
750 25th Avenue, 2nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94121