Skip Navigation  

How Do I...?

How do I...

...get transcripts?

To request a transcript, call 415-750-4500 x1020, for detailed instructions. Your original signature is needed so you may either go in person to the transcript office at 20 Cook Street, Room 11 or send a letter requesting your transcript. If you choose to send a letter, your letter must contain the following:

  • Your name and the name you used in school
  • Your birth date
  • The name(s) of the school(s) you attended
  • The year you left that school
  • Where to send the record
  • $5.00 fee for each copy requested (we accept checks made out to SFUSD, money orders or cash. There is no charge for current SFUSD students, students currently enrolled in a secondary school outside of SFUSD, or out of school minors who are otherwise eligible for enrollment in a secondary school).

See the Transcript Request Form for more details. Find out more about general requests for transcripts or find out more about requesting transcripts for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

Back to top

...enroll my child in an SFUSD school for the first time?

The first step to enroll your child in school is to submit an application in person at 555 Franklin Street. A child’s parent or guardian must bring picture ID, proof of your child’s birth, and two original proofs of home address that are dated within the past 45 days. For more information go to our enrollment overview.

Back to top

...change schools?

If you are already enrolled in one SFUSD school and wish to enroll in a different school, you can consult a counselor at the Educational Placement Center (EPC) about your options. The EPC is open to the public from 8:00 to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Back to top

...appeal a school placement?

The Medical and Family Hardship Appeals Committee convenes after the first two school placement periods to conduct a review of students submitting a placement appeal based on either medical or family hardship. If the committee approves an appeal, the Educational Placement Center assigns the student to a school that can meet the student’s needs and has space available. Find out more about appealing a school placement.

Back to top

...submit a change of address form if I move?

Both your child’s school and the district should have your new address if you move. The district maintains the information for parent mailings such as report cards. To change your address at the school site, amend your emergency card on file with the main office. To change your address with the school district, submit a change of address form within 14 days of moving to the Educational Placement Center. The EPC is open to the public from 8:00 to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Back to top

...change my contact information?

You can change your phone number or email address using Family Portal. Learn more about updating your contact information.

Back to top

...volunteer in a school?

There are many opportunities for community members to volunteer in schools. The San Francisco Education Fund can match you to a teacher that has requested a volunteer.

Back to top

...apply for a job with SFUSD?

Find out more about applying for certificated openings (substitutes, teachers, and administrative) in SFUSD. All non-teaching job openings in SFUSD are posted on EdJoin.

Back to top

...get information that I need as an employee?

Information that pertains only to SFUSD employees, such as timeroll and leave of absence forms, is available on the SFUSD intranet.

Back to top

...get interpretation/translation assistance?

Parents or guardians may request free individual translation or interpretation services at their school site and/or at a district department by filling out a Primary Language Assistance Request form available online, at all school sites and at the district’s main central office. For more information or assistance, you may leave a message by calling (415) 522-7343.

Back to top

...apply to a charter school?

Enrollment for charter schools differs from enrollment in SFUSD-managed schools. Interested parents should contact the charter school directly.

Back to top a concern?

If you are a district parent, you may report concerns to your child’s teacher and/or principal. If you have concerns that you would like to report to the district’s central office administration, please contact the Office of Family Voice at 415-241-6150; Fax: 415-241-6249

Uniform Complaint

The San Francisco Unified School District utilizes the uniform complaint procedures to investigate and resolve complaints related to the following:

  • Unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying based on actual or perceived disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or on a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of the actual or perceived characteristics, in any program or activity that receives or benefits from state financial assistance.
  • Complaints alleging failure to comply with state or federal law in adult basic education, consolidated categorical aid programs, migrant education, vocational education, child care and development programs and special education programs.

File a uniform complaint

Williams Complaint

A Williams Complaint allows the public to file grievances regarding:

  • Insufficient instructional materials
  • Emergency or urgent conditions at school facilities that may pose a threat to the health and safety of students
  • A school restroom that has not been cleaned, maintained, or kept open
  • Teacher vacancy or misassignment
  • Failure of SFUSD to provide intensive instruction and services to pupils who have not passed one or both parts of the high school exit exam after the completion of 12th grade

File a Williams complaint

Sexual Harassment

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination, harassment, and violence on the basis of sex in education programs and activities: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance”.

Board Policies and Administrative Regulations

Complaint Forms

A sexual harassment complaint may be filed with the school site principal or his/her designee or a teacher at the school site. If the individual feels uncomfortable, the complaint may be filed with the Title IX Coordinator/Executive Director of the Office of Equity. Complaint forms are available at each school and at the Office of Equity, however, complaints may also be made verbally.

Keasara (Kiki) Williams, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equity
555 Franklin Street, Room 306
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-355-7334
Fax: 415-355-7333

Report Fraud

It is our shared responsibility to be trustworthy stewards of public money and assets. We encourage concerned San Francisco Unified School District employees and the public to report allegations of school-related fraud, waste and abuse. Please come forward if you notice any accounting irregularities, inappropriate conduct or fraudulent activities of which we should be aware. We have set up an easy way for you to report any concerns. You may leave a message at 415-248-1321 or email Thank you in advance for supporting our students!

Safe Schools

We want our schools to be safe places for all our students. If your child has experienced threats, indimidation, racial or gender slurs, harassment or bullying, we encourage you or your child to report it. For concerns or incidents affecting the safety of any student, please call, send an e-mail, or complete the online form below:

Calling us is not a substitute for calling 911. All callers will remain anonymous unless they choose not to be.

Back to top

...file a government claim for damages against the district?

Use the general claim form to file a claim against the school district.

Back to top

...request a public record?

The fundamental precept of the California Public Records Act (hereinafter, “CPRA”) is that governmental records shall be disclosed to the public, upon request, unless there is a specific reason not to do so. The public may inspect documents free of charge or obtain a copy of identifiable records for $0.25 per page. Please complete a CPRA form with clear and specific descriptions of the information that you are seeking.

California Public Records Act Form

Once you've completed the form, please mail or fax the form to:
Legal Department
555 Franklin St., 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-241-6054
Fax: 415-241-6371

Back to top

...check a reference for a job applicant formerly employed by SFUSD?

You may contact the Human Resources Office at 415-241-6101.

Back to top

...get approval to distribute information to staff, students, and/or parents?

All fliers and distributions to school sites from community organizations must be reviewed and approved by submitting your request to Communications.

Get a stamp of approval from SFUSD Communications by filling out the online request form. Please allow up to 10 days for staff review.

Make sure your flier does not contain:

  • Corporate promotion
  • For-profit advertising
  • Promotions for dances, parties, etc.
  • Educational materials that have not been approved by SFUSD
  • Content inconsistent with the mission or policies of SFUSD
  • Political materials, endorsements, walk-outs, demonstration notices, non-SFUSD fundraisers, etc.
  • Recruitment of students or staff to an independent or private school

Approved documents will be stamped and emailed back to you.

Please note that distribution is provided as a community service. SFUSD neither endorses nor sponsors any activity that is approved and reserves the right to deny any request. Approvals may take up to 10 business days to review.

For approval of textbook materials, please contact Textbook, Libraries, and Media Services at 415-469-4000 for review.

Once my materials are approved, how can I get them to the schools? Materials can be distributed to school sites via our Document Publishing and Distributions department for a small fee. Distribution forms with the breakdown of costs can be found in The Materials Distribution form.

Please contact Documents Publishing at 415-355-6999 to schedule a drop-off date.

Back to top

...partner with SFUSD?

Before an organization can provide services to SFUSD students, staff and/or families in a school, you need a formal agreement with SFUSD that describes your services in detail, and ensures your agency fulfills legal requirements that protect our students, your organization, and the district as a whole.

  • When services are provided free to the school or SFUSD you need a "Memorandum of Understanding," or MOU, which must be approved by district staff and the Board of Education.
  • Organizations may charge fees to families for services provided at a school outside the regular school day. An MOU is also required for these programs.
  • If the school or SFUSD pays for services, the agreement is through a contract.

Please review our Frequently Asked Questions, and visit our MOU information page for more details.

Back to top

...arrange to visit an SFUSD school?

If you are a prospective parent and would like to visit a school, please consult the online school directory for scheduled tours. If the school you are interested in does not have a time listed, contact the school’s main office directly for information. Non-parent visitors may contact the Office of Public Outreach and Communications at (415) 241-6565.

Back to top

...get my child assessed for a possible learning disability?

Find out more in the Special Education section of the website.

Back to top

...enroll in summer school?

Summer school programs are currently only offered to a limited number of identified students. If your child is eligible to participate, you will be notified of opportunities through the district and/or his or her school site principal or teacher.

Back to top

...get a student work permit?

To get a work permit, a student must provide:

  • A completed application with a parent's or guardian’s signature at the bottom and an employer's signature in the employer section
  • A social security card (photocopies are acceptable) OR a verification letter from the Social Security Administration Office
  • Proof of age, such as a birth certificate, passport, OR California ID or Driver's License
  • Proof of school attendance, such as a current report card, current school identification, OR a dated and signed verification letter with current grades (on official school stationery from the school administrator)

Download forms and find out more.

Back to top

...apply to conduct research in SFUSD?

All researchers interested in conducting research in SFUSD must complete the Application to Conduct Research in the SFUSD, which includes:

  • Research Study Application
  • Survey Application
  • Data use agreement (DUA)

Back to top

...invest in SFUSD schools?

To accelerate towards Vision 2025, SFUSD’s Fund Development Team is featuring four investment opportunities to SPARK student success. Through these initiatives, we hope to engage and empower the broader San Francisco community to invest in areas that are critical to achieving our vision. Invest in San Francisco public schools today.

Back to top