SFUSD's Wellness Policy
In April 2015, the Board of Education approved an updated wellness policy that was developed through a collaborative community process.
Our approach to wellness is aligned with the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model. The policy is meant to inspire and empower a shift in culture that will increase healthy eating and physical activity among our students by creating environments that support healthy choices.
Food and Nutrition Highlights from SFUSD's Wellness Policy
SFUSD's Wellness Policy provides all schools with a framework to actively promote the health and wellness of students, staff, and families. Here are some of the policy highlights related to food and nutrition.
- Staff are encouraged to promote healthy school environments by modeling healthy behaviors, and only eating/drinking items that comply with the District's Nutrition Guideline. Please see our Nutritious Nourishment guidelines.
- All food and beverages provided to students, including fundraisers and celebrations, shall adhere to SFUSD's nutrition guidelines. Here are some general Ceremonious Celebrations ideas.
- To ensure students are nourished with a proper meal, classroom parties will be scheduled only after lunchtime.
- Food will not be used as a reward for students' academic performance, accomplishments, or classroom behavior.
- Sweetened beverages and 100% juices will not be provided to SFUSD students, staff, or families at any time. Please see our Happy Hydration guidelines.
- Adult and student groups are encouraged to fundraise without food. Here are some Fun Fundraisers tips.
- Outside vendors or individuals who wish to provide food for students must complete an Application to Donate, Serve, or Sell Food or Beverage.
Wellness BookletEnglish, Spanish, Chinese)
For more resources around healthy food ideas, please review our Nutrition Standards!