On May 24, 2016 the San Francisco Board of Education voted unanimously to adopt the Good Food Purchasing Program (GFPP). The GFPP is a metric-based framework and set of tools that guides organizations to direct their buying power toward suppliers. This meets five inter-connected values: local economies, environmental sustainability, valued workforce, animal welfare and nutrition.
SFUSD will work with Revolution Foods and other suppliers to review products that go into to school meals from farm to fork, and assess how current sourcing aligns with district and GFFP standards. The adoption of GFPP enhances existing SFUSD student nutrition initiatives that aim to ensure every SFUSD student has access to healthy meals so that no child is hungry and increases and improves participation in the student dining experience.
In adopting this program, the San Francisco Unified School District voted to lead the nation in using procurement dollars to reflect the values of our district and our city in the areas of local economies, environmental sustainability, valued workforce, animal welfare and nutrition. It is absolutely the right thing to do.
-Commissioner Sandra Lee Fewer, the resolution's lead sponsor
The Good Food Purchasing Program is a collaborative initiative of cross-sector national and local partners coordinated by the Center for Good Food Purchasing, which provides planning, implementation and evaluation support for institutions using the GFPP framework. Other government participants include the City of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Unified School District.
New in 2016!
We are kicking off the new year with some exciting new additions to the SFUSD menu! Check out the menu each month to see when these dishes are making an appearance in a dining hall near you:
- Calzoni Pizza: Veggie protein "pepperoni" crumble, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce inside a whole wheat pizza pocket crust. You won't believe it's vegetarian!
- Sweet Garlic Noodles with Chicken: Noodles tossed in a sweet soy-garlic glaze with shredded carrots and braised greens. Topped with savory garlic chicken.
- Popping Wheelies: Turkey wrap "wheels" with a spicy, creamy slaw.
- Baked Mac & Cheese: Pasta noodles baked with a creamy cheddar and tomato sauce, topped with ground beef.
- Hearty Beef Chili: A warm, comforting mix of ground beef, tomatoes and beans, topped with cheddar cheese.
- Turkey Cran Sandwich: Insired by a traditional pairing, this turkey sandwich features a cranberry mayo. Served on whole grain bread.
- Chicken Taco Salad: Shredded romaine lettuce topped with chicken, pico de gallo salsa, black beans and sour cream.
- Hot Tuna Melt: Tuna salad topped with shredded cheddar cheese and baked until melty. Served with our new roasted rosemary potatoes.
- Grilled Turkey Sandwich: Turkey and cheddar sandwich on whole wheat bread, served with our new roasted rosemary potatoes.
Re-envisioning Dining Experience
SFUSD's Future Dining Experience has been working hard to rethink the way that students at SFUSD experience food at school. From redesigned dining areas, to thought leadership on school food innovation, we invite you to follow our effort to develop a financially stable food system that provides fresh, healthy meals to students as they grow.
Join us at the table, on Twitter! @SFUSDSchoolFood