SFUSD Meals are BPA Free!
In light of recent concerns regarding the presence of BPA in school food, SFUSD is proud to share that we offer students meals in BPA-free containers. Both SFUSD and our partners at Revolution Foods are committed to sourcing not only high-quality ingredients, but also packaging in our mission to provide SFUSD students nutritious and delicious meals.
Back to School: Meal Application Time
The 2015-2016 school year is upon us, which means a brand new opportunity to take part in meals with SFUSD. From exciting new menu items, to more and exciting ways to bring food from the kitchen to your plate, SFUSD’s dining program has spent the summer planning better ways to feed students.
How do you join the table and take part in meals with SFUSD? The first step is to fill out a Meal Application Form! The Meal Application Form is an opportunity for Student Nutrition Services & all the people that bring meals to SFUSD to understand you and your food preferences a little bit better. SFUSD receives much needed funding based on the number of eligible meal applications we collect, and the only way to collect every eligible application is to collect applications from every student. So even if you know you don’t qualify for meals or you don’t plan to buy school meals, please take a minute to complete the application. It can help provide more funding for your school.
It may seem like a scary official document but we promise it’s not and we’re here to help! We’ve put together this guide to the Meal Application Form and other dining basics, and the friendly folks at Student Nutrition Services are available to support you in filling out the application:
New Menu Items
Thanks to feedback and ideas from SFUSD students, we have introduced several new meals to the menu! Many were designed or named by students, including:
- Hawaiian Meatballs with Island Rice: Delicious beef and turkey meatballs with a teriyaki glaze, paired with a whole grain brown rice made with carrots, served with a side of whole grain crackers
- BBQ Chicken Pasta: Your favorite BBQ chicken tossed with a BBQ and marinara sauce, served over penne pasta and corn, and topped with mozzarella cheese
- Pizza Panada Pie: A warm, whole grain empanada filled with mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce
- Smoky Sausage Rice Bowl: Sweet and savory rice with carrot pieces and a touch of garlic and ginger, topped with mini chicken sausages
- Burgerito: A burrito filled with cheddar cheese, lean beef and turkey, and our chefinspired Burgerito sauce wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla
- Turkey and Cheddar Flatbread Sandwich: A warm sandwich on a whole grain flatbread filled with sliced roasted turkey
and real cheddar cheese, served with tangy BBQ sauce on the side
- Muffins new and improved and in a variety of great flavors
Re-envisioning Dining Experience
SFUSD's Future Dining Experience has been working hard to rethink the way that students at SFUSD experience food at school. From redesigned dining areas, to thought leadership on school food innovation, we invite you to follow our effort to develop a financially stable food system that provides fresh, healthy meals to students as they grow.
Join us at the table, on Twitter! @SFUSDSchoolFood