Office of Family and Community Engagement
These core values shape our commitment to engage families as partners:
- Families are the first and most influential teachers of their children. Respecting and welcoming all families into the school community supports the academic achievement of all students.
- SFUSD welcomes families as advocates for their children’s success. We know that some students have been underserved, and we are committed to welcoming families as partners in their children’s education.
- Student achievement is supported by positive relationships among students, staff and families, and by engaging all members of the school community to resolve conflict, repair harm and prevent punitive discipline.
- Engaging families across the diversity of our student population requires intentional actions, to build understanding and inclusion for all ethnicities, languages, socioeconomic backgrounds and family structures.
- Collaborative leadership and shared decision-making strengthens our schools and improves our services to students and their families.
- Providing families with access to information, community resources and support services is essential to supporting student success.
- Engaging families is a shared responsibility. SFUSD holds ourselves accountable to lead and support collaborative efforts with community partners to engage and empower our students’ families.
SFUSD's Standards for Engaging and Empowering Families:
- Supporting Strong Relationships: Schools welcome and respect families, build community among diverse family populations, and actively engage family members to resolve conflicts and repair harm.
- Facilitating Two-Way Communication: Schools actively reach out to hear from families. Communication processes are clear to families and encourage a mutual exchange of information and perspectives.
- Linking to Learning: Families are encouraged and supported to be involved in their children’s learning at home and at school.
- Valuing Diversity: Schools respect and affirm the value of students’ diverse cultures, backgrounds and family structures. School site and district staff demonstrate and promote cultural competence.
- Speaking Up for Every Student: Families are empowered to be advocates for their own and other children, to ensure that students are treated fairly and have equitable access to learning opportunities.
- Sharing Power and Decision-Making: Families are encouraged and empowered to participate in formal and informal structures for making decisions about their children, schools, and the district.
- Connecting Families to Community Resources: Schools help families access useful community resources and services.
Our standards for family engagement were adapted from national, research-based models to reflect the needs of our diverse student and family populations, in collaborative discussions among district staff, parent leaders, and community partners.
Contact Us: Office of Family and Community Engagement
Family Liaison Program Manager: Maribel Sainez
Coordinator of Family & Community Partnerships: Ruth Grabowski
Office Assistant: Alicia Richardson
Office of Family Voice: Ramon Martinez
Translation & Interpretation Services Lehmann Sio
Follow us on Facebook:
Phone: (415) 241-6185 Fax: (415) 522-6724 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org