Food & Nutrition Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Food & Nutrition Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Last updated January 8, 2021

Where can I get meals during the school closure?

Free grab and go meals are available for all students. View the list of sites and schedules at or view a Google map.

Is there a cost for school meals?

Meals are free for all students during the 20-21 school year. Visit for the latest information.

Do I have to bring my child with me?

Adults can pick up meals for children without a child present.

Do I need to provide ID or proof of enrollment?

Adults can pick up meals for children.

To pick up meals for SFUSD students: 

  • Barcode for meal account (printed or on your smartphone)
  • If you do not have the barcode, please bring one of the following: student ID card, meal account pin number, direct certification letter, eligibility letter, or 20-21 school placement letter

To pick up meals for siblings not enrolled in SFUSD:

  • School-age children: school enrollment letter or student ID card
  • Younger children: provide the child's birthdate to receive an orange grab-and-go card at any meal site

To pick up meals for a child 18 and younger (who is not enrolled in SFUSD, and is not a sibling of an SFUSD student):

  • Provide the child’s first name, last name, and birthdate to receive a yellow grab-and-go card at any meal site

What safety practices are in place?

At our meal pick-up sites, employees are stationed inside and families do not enter the school building to pick up. Families are asked to maintain 6 ft. of physical distance when gathering at meal sites. As new guidance has been issued, we have provided the necessary PPE (personal protective equipment) and training to employees at our meal sites. Currently, employees use disposable gloves, masks and aprons.

Can you provide a second line for disabled persons, staff, or other needs?

We are unable to create a second line and maintain social distancing at most of our meal sites. We cannot provide special accommodations at this time.

Are school meals available for my child with allergies or other special dietary needs?

Please refer to the Special Dietary Needs section of our website.

How do I apply for free or reduced-price school meals?

The Multipurpose Family Income form for the 20-21 school year is available online at Meals are free for all students during the 20-21 school year.

I applied for meal benefits last year. Do I need to apply again?

Yes. To qualify for meal benefits, a new application must be submitted at the start of each school year. Benefits from the previous school year will expire 30 school days after the start of the new school year. If there is a change in your household size, income, or employment status, you may submit a new form at any time.​​​​​

Can you provide me with my student’s letter of eligibility for free or reduced-price meals?

Yes. Please follow the instructions online at If this doesn’t work for you, please email or call 415-749-3604.

Is P-EBT available for the 20-21 school year?

California will be issuing a P-EBT extension for the months of August and September 2020 to families that previously received P-EBT benefits for the 19-20 school year. These new P-EBT cards will be mailed directly to families October through December. Families do not need to apply. The P-EBT extension is only available to families who previously received P-EBT. For information on future P-EBT benefits, please follow our updates in the District’s weekly digests and

Note: Children who are newly eligible for free or reduced-price school meals for the current 2020-21 school year are not eligible for P-EBT extension benefits. This includes children who just started school for the first time as a preschooler or kindergartener for the current 2020-21 school year. Children newly eligible for free or reduced-price school meals will be served under a new P-EBT program for the current 2020-21 school year. This is referred to as the “P-EBT 2.0 program”. More information about this program is coming soon. Families can periodically check the CDSS P-EBT Homepage for more information about the upcoming program.

How can I get help with my P-EBT card?

Contact the P-EBT Helpline by calling (877) 328-9677. If a P-EBT cardholder does not have their card number accessible, they must wait through two card number prompts without entering their P-EBT card number. They will then hear a prompt to report their card as having not yet arrived, lost, stolen, or damaged. After choosing that option, they will hear a prompt for help regarding P-EBT benefits. At that time, the caller can select the option specific to their P-EBT inquiry and connect with a phone agent for further assistance. The P-EBT helpline can help with PIN set-up, address changes, or replacing lost/stolen P-EBT cards. The P-EBT Helpline cannot help with determining eligibility or issuing new benefits if your child is not found in the system.

Do you have food pantries at your school sites?

Yes. The SF-Marin Food Bank is hosting pop-up pantries at select schools. Visit

I’m disabled and can’t pick up food at a meal site. What can I do?

Older adults and adults with disabilities can call the Department of Disability and Aging Services (DAS) telephone helpline at (415) 355-6700 (select “Case Management” as the reason for your call), Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to request help with food, including grocery delivery, take-away meals, and home-delivered meals. If you need assistance visiting an SFUSD meal site due to a disability and are unable to leave your home due to the Shelter in Place order, we encourage you to call the DAS helpline to learn about available resources. To learn more about programs and services available to older adults and adults with disabilities during COVID-19, visit

Do you offer delivery of school meals?

SFUSD is delivering meals to students with disabilities and special dietary needs on a limited, case by case basis as resources allow. Please email with any questions.

Can I donate to Student Nutrition Services?

We are accepting donations. Your support is appreciated!

Can I donate food?

At this time, SFUSD cannot accept food donations. You may reach out to the SF-Marin Food Bank: Virginia Patterson,

Can I volunteer?

SFUSD employees and community members may volunteer to help at our meal distribution sites. Sign up to volunteer.

My question wasn't answered here.

Please email with any further questions.