How is your school doing?
Find out how much waste your school generates.
SFUSD looks forward to the day when every item that enters our school district will be reused, recycled, or composted at the end of its time with SFUSD. Our interim goal, as outlined in the SFUSD Resource Conservation & Waste Diversion resolution, is to divert 85% of our waste from the landfill by the year 2025. The Sustainability Office created the Zero Waste Collaborative, composed of Recology, the San Francisco Department of the Environment and the SFUSD Custodial Department in order to reach that goal through upstream solutions and comprehensive waste management practices.
What we do
- Zero Waste Champion Program: In coordination with Recology, school staff, teachers, administrators and even parents can become a champion of zero waste at their school. Learn more about the Zero Waste Champion Program.
- Student Nutrition: The Sustainability Office is supporting SNS in reducing over-purchasing, eliminating single-use packaging in the school meal program, implementing refrigerated share tables, and identifying options for donating excess food.
- Furniture Reuse: In partnership with the Custodial Department and the Warehouse, schools are able to donate and claim furniture through the SFUSD Furniture Exchange Program.
- Drink Tap: The District is installing water bottle filling stations in all schools and promoting the consumption of tap water thanks to funding from the San Francisco Soda Tax.
- Green Purchasing: The Sustainability Office is working with the Procurement Department to stock environmentally preferable products in the SFUSD Warehouse and encourage environmental purchasing practices.
If you have a question or want to request zero waste services (i.e. education, service adjustments, infrastructure requests), please fill out the Zero Waste Inquiry Form.