Required Documents

Required Documents

To apply for school, please include the following documents with your application. 

  1. Completed application form
  2. Student’s Proof of birth
  3. Proof of home address 
  4. Parent/Guardian’s Picture ID

See below for a list of acceptable documents.  Please contact the Educational Placement Center at or 415-241-6085 if you have any questions about submitting documentation.

    Acceptable Proofs of Birth

    Submit one:

    • A certified copy of a birth certificate
    • A statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
    • A duly attested baptism certificate
    • A passport
    • Court Order
    • Health Office/Vital Statistics record of birth certificate date
    • When none of the above documents is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent/guardian can be submitted.

    Acceptable Proofs of identification

    Submit one:

    • Any federal photo identification, including Veterans Identification Cards (“VICs”); 
    • Any State or Non-US government-issued card, license, or document other than a driver’s license or state ID card like a consular card or electoral card; 
    • Driver’s licenses and state ID cards issued by any state/international government; 
    • Any local government-issued card, license, or document; 
    • Technical college identification cards; 
    • Any public or medical assistance benefit cards issued by any unit of government; 
    • Any governmental or non-governmental employer photo identification cards;
    • Affidavit of legal guardian/parent affirming identity;
    • Bus pass with photo;
    • Credit card with photo;
    • Membership card with photo and name

    Photo identification is used to verify the identity of the parent/legal guardian (including educational rights holder or caregiver) and will be used for the purpose of confirming the adult and student applicant relationship.

    Other documents, if applicable:

    • High school transcript (for students currently enrolled in a non-SFUSD high school looking to transfer to SFUSD for the current school year)
    • Court orders regarding custody (legal or physical), educational rights, restricted contact with the student
    • Immunization Records and most recent Tb test result. Immunization records are not required for application submission, but are required at the time of school enrollment. Learn more about the health requirements to enroll in school.

    Acceptable Proofs of Home Address

    Submit one:

    Proof of home address must include the name and address of the parent or guardian.

    • Utility service contract, statement or payment receipts WITH DATE VISIBLE ; from agencies such as PG&E, water, cable, or garbage within 45 days (no cell phone bills or bank statements will be accepted)
    • Both automobile registration and auto insurance policy (declarations page), must be current (count as one proof)
    • Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy, must be current
    • Property tax statement, must be the current assessment year.
    • Correspondence from a government agency within 45 days
    • Grant deed, title of property
    • Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts within 45 days
    • Section 8 agreements, must be current
    • Pay stubs, within 45 days
    • Voter registration, must be current
    • Affidavit of residency executed by the parent or legal guardian of a pupil

    View other enrollment requirements

    This page was last updated on March 17, 2023