Family and Community Partnership
SFUSD welcomes and encourages our students’ parents, guardians and caregivers to be directly involved in your children’s education. We know that families are the first and most influential teachers, and consistent family involvement helps all children to do better in school.
The District’s strategic plan identifies implementing SFUSD’s Standards for Family Partnerships and Empowerment as one of our six priorities to support student success. These standards aim to ensure that families are welcome in our schools, have the information they need to be partners in their children’s education, and are included in decision-making at their children’s schools. You can find the Six Best Practices areas on the district’s Family Partnerships webpage.
SFUSD offices, including Early Education and the Student & Family Services Division, provide support to school sites, families, district staff, and community partners to create strong partnerships to support students.
In addition to volunteering and participating at your school, there are many valuable ways to be involved and support your children’s education! To learn more speak with your school’s teachers, family liaison, parent leaders or principal, or go to the Family Partnership Resources page.
SFUSD Student Family & School Resource Link
The SFUSD Student Family & School Resource Link helps families navigate all of the SFUSD resources available to them. Students, families and school staff can access the Resource Link in three ways:
- Go to familylink.sfusd.edu to complete an online request form
- Email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call (415) 340-1716. The Student, Family & School Resource Link is open for live calls M-F from 9 am-3 pm, and closed for lunch hours from 12-1 pm. Callers can still leave a voicemail at all hours.
Special Education Ombudsperson
The SFUSD Special Education Ombudsperson is the family, community and staff liaison for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The Ombudsman's office can:
- Assist parents and guardians in navigating Special Education Services and when they have concerns regarding special education services for their children at school sites or districtwide.
- Provide training to SFUSD and San Francisco community stakeholders, such as Navigating Special Education Services, IEP 101, Engaging and Empowering SFUSD Families, Effective Communication between Special Education Families and Educators, and other issues related to special education services and families.
- Address the need for educational surrogate assignment (the Ombudsperson is the educational surrogate coordinator for the district, which matches students in need of representation with volunteers to help advocate for their educational needs.)
For information and help navigating Special Education Services please contact:
Office of the Ombudsperson
555 Franklin Street, 1st Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415) 447-7802
This page was last updated on August 14, 2021