College Financial Aid

College Financial Aid


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be completed on-line by US Citizens & Eligible Non-Citizens (Permanent or Temporary Residents) at:

DREAM Application should be completed on-line by Undocumented Students Only at:

All current 12th graders should be selecting to complete the 2017-2018 Application for both of these sites.

The deadline for both of these very important Financial Aid Applications is March 2.

SFUSD 12th graders do not have to worry about completing and mailing in a GPA Verification Form to be considered for Cal-Grants.  The SFUSD District has submitted all GPA's electronically for every current 12th grader for all high schools. 

This is why it is important to submit your FAFSA OR DREAM Application by March 2, because Cal-Grants are awarded based on GPA & Income Guidelines which are extracted from FAFSA or DREAM Application.  You will NOT be considered for a Cal-Grant, if you do not submit your FAFSA or DREAM Application by March 2.


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

o   The FAFSA is a free application that each student must file every year to be eligible to receive federal and state aid. The federal government uses the information you report on the FAFSA to determine how much aid a student will be eligible for based on theirs and their parents’ income (if they are a dependent).  They will determine how much your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be. EFC is an index that informs the amount of money the government estimates that your family can contribute to your education for that academic year. 

o   DEADLINE: MARCH 2nd This is extremely important! You must make sure that you file your FAFSA before March 2nd. You may file it as early as January 1st so please do it early.

o   To file your FAFSA log-on to:

o   Note: For an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student aid, visit

Cal Grant:

o   The Cal Grant is a state grant that California residents may be eligible for. It is granted based on merit (your GPA) and financial need (FAFSA). For more information visit

o   DEADLINE: MARCH 2nd  Make sure that you visit the College and Career Center to fill out the GPA verification form so that it may be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission. Forms will be available in January.

o   IMPORTANT: You will not be considered for the Cal Grant if you do not file your FAFSA. 


o   There are many scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for so start applying early!

o   A good website to visit is

o   You can also visit your College and Career Center in Rm.149 where you will find a Scholarship Board. 

Click Here View and Print the Scholarship Bulletin today!  You can also pick up a copy of the Scholarship Bulletin in the College and Career Center.


 If this is a question that you are asking yourself as you begin to think about college, don’t stress! We at the College and Career Center at Abraham Lincoln High School are here to help answer your questions and guide you through the process of applying for college and obtaining financial aid! :)


Educational Opportunity Program (EOP):

o   EOP provides admission and academic assistance to EOP-eligible undergraduate students. In many cases, the program offers financial assistance to eligible students.Campuses tailor their programs to accommodate the needs of their student population.

o   The program is designed to improve access and retention of historically low-income and educationally disadvantaged students.

o   You are highly encouraged to apply for EOP. To apply make sure you check the appropriate box on the CSU and UC application. For CSUs, there is an additional EOP application you must fileASAP after you have submitted your admission application.


Information for Undocumented Students:

o   Many undocumented students worry about paying for college because they are not eligible to file the FAFSA to receive federal and state financial aid.  The GOOD NEWS is that there are many other types of financial aid and opportunities to help finance your education! :)

o   How do I pay for college if I cannot file the FAFSA? There are tons of scholarships that do NOT require applicants to be citizens or legal residents. For scholarship information and for more detailed information and handouts on AB 540, you may visit the College and Career Center, Rm 53, Monday through Friday. You can also go to to get more information. 

o  Also, If you meet the requirements you may also be eligible to pay only in-state tuition instead of out-of-state tuition. (For most college institutions, students who are not residents of that state are charged an additional out-of-state fee.) With the law, AB 540, many California colleges and universities will waive the out-of-state tuition fee for eligible students, saving you thousands of dollars in school costs!