Critical Academic Skills (CAS)
These academic requirements are embedded across all projects.
1. Work Collaboratively
- Engage in team building activities that promote cooperation, understanding and respect.
- Participate in collaborative, curriculum-based, academic experiences such as partner work and working in groups of three or more, with designated roles.
- Complete ongoing and culminating group projects with individual roles and responsibilities that require consensus building and group problem solving.
2. Think Critically
- Create original work requiring analysis and evaluation of multiple sources including, but not limited to, text, data, and media.
- Solve problems that require the application of high school level math concepts to real world situations that are integrated with other subject areas.
- Utilize inquiry methods as a component of the scientific process and as a strategy to explore other subject areas.
3. Communicate Effectively
- Engage in a creative process to produce work in the visual, media, performing, or literary arts.
- Produce analytical writing, including persuasive paragraphs and a five-paragraph, thesis-driven essay that utilizes a writing process to brainstorm, write, revise and edit.
- Prepare and deliver formal and informal oral presentations to peers and/or community members.
4. Contribute Socially
- Examine, analyze, and apply understanding of social justice issues.
- Engage productively and meaningfully in curriculum-based, community-oriented experiences, in class or in the field, that involve people or organizations from outside the school.
- Identify, articulate, and implement actions that can lead to positive personal and social change.