Galileo Academy of Science & Technology
1150 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
Dear Galileo Students and Families,
Welcome back to the 2022-23 school year! I am so excited to begin my first year as the principal of Galileo. After 14 years as principal of Marshall Elementary in San Francisco, when the opportunity was offered to lead such a school rich in history and excellence, I was ready to begin the next step in my leadership journey. While I have been in daily communication with Ms. Benau to assist in the transition, she has been incredibly helpful and I truly appreciate her guidance. We all wish her the best in her new position in the district office. The last couple of years have been extremely difficult for all community members, hopefully this year we can return to a sense of normalcy. I look forward to creating a stronger sense of community, increasing the amount of student events, collaborating with all stakeholders to enhance the joy of attending Galileo High School! LET’S GO LIONS!!!
The First Day of School is Wednesday, August 17.
All students will be able to view their class schedules in Synergy on Sunday, August 15. Students must regularly check their SFUSD school email accounts where they will receive all important school information.
Our Freshman Orientation will be on Monday, August 15 from 1:00-3:00 . This orientation will be an opportunity for Freshman students to become familiar with the Galileo campus and our staff and resources. Our Galileo Associated Student Body (ASB) students will provide school group tours, while Galileo student clubs, Athletic Department, Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA), and Futurama (Afterschool Program) will have information tables in the courtyard. Students and families will meet in the school auditorium, there will be signs posted to guide you, it is a big campus!
New Bell Schedule
Please find the 2022-2023 bell schedule that provides consistent start and end times throughout the district. Here is the link for the bell schedule which is also provided at the bottom of this letter.
Before The First Day of School
In order for us to maintain and build a sense of community, we need to stay in close communication with each other. It is very important that all families update their phone numbers and email addresses in Synergy and ensure they have an active ParentVue account.
- Please help ensure your families’ contact information in Synergy is up to date. Learn more about how you can use or set up a ParentVUE account at sfusd.edu/parentvue. If you have any questions, please contact the Galileo Counselor Office 415-749-3453.
- Complete your Emergency Contact Card so we can get in touch with you in the event of an emergency. Visit sfusd.edu/EmergencyCard for more information.
- Complete the Multipurpose Family Income Form for the 2021-22 school year whether or not you need meal assistance. All meals are free for all students this year. However, we need all families to complete the Multipurpose Family Income Form. The form is available online at sfusd.edu/MFIF in English, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese.
- Review the SFUSD Student and Family Handbook which has been updated and is available at sfusd.edu/handbook.
- Families and community members may continue receiving important SFUSD information via the SFUSD website, the monthly e-newsletter, and a new Family Announcements Bulletin (FAB), which is a weekly email summary of all public website announcements posted from the previous week. Starting on August 19, FAB will be sent every Thursday afternoon to families who signed up. Families and other interested community members must sign up to receive FAB.
Student schedules will be available in studentvue on August 15th at 4pm, or sooner if possible.
I know we all have many questions and concerns about how to navigate our return to in-person learning. Please reach out to Galileo staff, counselors, teachers, and administrators if you have any questions. We are here to assist your student and family and will persist until we find the resources you need.
Peter Avila, Principal