Architecture + Design
Architecture + Design is for students who love to build, tinker, whittle, carve, craft, make street art, or fill sketchbooks with drawings. Students in this department will develop their creative and critical skills and learn about the ways architecture and design shapes our world and can change the ways we live.
Application and Audition Instructions
WHAT WILL YOU PREPARE AT HOME AND TURN IN WITH YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS?
- Architecture + Design Portfolio
WHAT WILL YOU INCLUDE IN YOUR ARCHITECTURE + DESIGN PORTFOLIO?
4 total - original art pieces
- Two (2) Drawings (use pencil or ink) of a space or object(s) you observed and drew from life (not from a photo, memory or your imagination), on a piece of 8.5" x 11" paper. Examples include still life, landscape (interior or exterior), streetscape or self portrait.
- One (1) Art Composition (in any style or medium) including drawing, painting, collage, photography, or digital rendering, etc., and should explore shape, pattern, color, and texture.
- One (1) Art Piece (your choice, in any medium) Examples of 3D or models or sculptures will only be accepted as a photograph or print.
HOW WILL YOU PREPARE YOUR PORTFOLIO FOR SUBMISSION?
A + D portfolios may be submitted as Hard Copies or in Digital Format
- Hard Copies - If you're submitting hard copies of your drawings/compositions they must be completely enclosed in a notebook, envelope or portfolio case, with your name and the department you are applying to clearly marked.
- Digital Format - If you're submitting your artwork in a digital format, scan or photograph your drawings/compositions in a JPEG or PDF file and put them on a USB stick that is clearly marked with your name and the department you are applying to. Always check to make sure the digital images are a clear representation of your work.
WHAT WILL YOU DO DURING YOUR ARCHITECTURE + DESIGN AUDITION?
- discuss your essay and portfolio
- draw (all materials will be provided)
OTHER AUDITION INFORMATION
- Your audition will last approximately 30 minutes.
Students will be evaluated on the quality of the A + D portfolio, audition elements, and enthusiasm for this field.