Band students receive weekly masterclasses with professional musicians, studying many aspects of the craft of music making particular to the instrument they play. These students build their skills through large ensemble training, small ensemble performances, and solo repertoire development. In addition to developing their craft, students in the Band program take AP Music Theory, have opportunities to play in the Jazz ensembles, and have a choice of Electronic Music, Composition, or Songwriting classes.
WHAT MUSIC WILL YOU LEARN, ON YOUR INSTRUMENT, BEFORE THE AUDITION?
The following are required piece(s) for your instrument:
- Baritone Horn / Euphonium
- Bass Clarinet
- French Horn
- Percussion, Marimba, and Mallet - Two (2) pieces are required. Piece 1 or Piece 2 If you play drum set, feel free to demonstrate your ability during the audition. A drum set will be available.
- Alto Saxophone
- Tenor Saxophone
- Baritone Saxophone
WHAT WILL YOU DO DURING THE BAND AUDITION?
- play major scales up to 3 sharps and 3 flats (C, F, B flat, E flat, G, D, A)
- play one octave chromatic scale
- sight-read a short instrumental passage
- briefly discuss your musical inspirations, ambitions, and goals
Students will be evaluated on the Band audition and enthusiasm for this field. Evaluation criteria is based on California State Visual and Performing Arts standards.