World Dance offers students a kinesthetic approach to learning. They journey into a rich cultural landscape integrating mind, body, and spirit, through high-energy, hands-on exploration of local music, dance, and traditions of other countries and cultures.
Students learn the fundamentals of movement and technique, choreography, dance theory, and history from a global perspective with an emphasis on dance customs and current practices, and are introduced to dance traditions of West African, Bhangra, Bollywood, Afro-Brazilian, Polynesian and more.
Prior experience or proficiency in a dance style are not required to audition. We seek students who love to dance and have a strong desire to learn about dance from different cultures.
Students interested in Ballet and Modern Dance, should check out the Dance Department.
PLEASE NOTE: FEB. 1, 2020 AUDITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
WHAT WILL YOU PREPARE IN ADVANCE OF THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
1. Watch this tutorial video (click here) and learn the dance. You will be asked to perform it in your audition.
2. Compose or learn a dance or piece of choreography, in any style, 1 minute long or less, to perform in the audition. If you have training in any traditional style of dance (Folklorico, Polynesian, etc.) use it in your choreography.
3. Write a one (1) page paper ( this can be used in place of your student essay). Tell us:
- about yourself, specifically your interest and/or experience in dance
- why you want to be part of the World Dance program
- what will you contribute to the program
- why you think it's important to have a World Dance program
WHAT WILL YOU DO DURING THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
- Group class - warm up, center floor work and short movement combinations across the floor, and learned dance (from tutorial).
- Solo performance - your composed dance/choreography - costumes are allowed, but not required.
- Discuss your (1) page paper, your background, training, ambitions, and goals.
Your performance potential during the audition will be assessed so remember to smile, or show whatever emotion is appropriate to your dance. Be prepared to spend three full hours at the audition.
WHAT WILL YOU WEAR TO THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
- comfortable, athletic clothing
- shoes not required
WHAT WILL YOU BRING WITH YOU THE DAY OF THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
- music (if using music) - we will provide speakers with AUX ports
- costume (if using a costume)
- one (1) page paper
Students will be evaluated on World Dance audition elements, group class, solo performance, and enthusiasm for this field.