World Dance offers students a kinesthetic approach to learning. They journey into a rich cultural landscape integrating mind, body, and spirit, through high-energy, hands-on exploration of local music, dance, and traditions of other countries and cultures.
Students learn the fundamentals of movement and technique, choreography, dance theory, and history from a global perspective with an emphasis on dance customs and current practices, and are introduced to dance traditions of West African, Bhangra, Bollywood, Afro-Brazilian, Polynesian and more.
Prior experience or proficiency in a dance style are not required to audition. We seek students who love to dance and have a strong desire to learn about dance from different cultures.
Students interested in Ballet and Modern Dance, should check out the Dance Department.
WHAT WILL YOU PREPARE IN ADVANCE OF THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
one (1) page paper - discuss the following (tell us about yourself, specifically your interest and/or experience in dance):
- Why you want to be part of the World Dance program?
- What will you contribute to the program?
- Why do you think it's important to have a World Dance program?
WHAT WILL YOU PREPARE IN ADVANCE AND PERFORM AT THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
Please watch this tutorial video (click here) to prepare for your audition.
- compose or learn a dance or piece of choreography (1 minute solo) to perform in the audition - any style (can be your own choreography or learned)
- if you have training in any traditional style of dance (Folklorico, Polynesian, etc.) perform a piece of choreography that reflects this training
WHAT WILL YOU DO DURING THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
- a group class (warm up, center floor work and short movement combinations across the floor)
- a solo performance (one (1) minute piece of choreography - costumes are allowed, but not required)
- discuss (one (1) page paper)
- discuss your background, training, ambitions, and goals
Your performance potential during the audition will be assessed so remember to smile, or show whatever emotion is appropriate to your dance. Be prepared to spend three full hours at the audition.
WHAT WILL YOU WEAR TO THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
- comfortable, athletic clothing
- shoes not required
WHAT WILL YOU BRING WITH YOU THE DAY OF THE WORLD DANCE AUDITION?
- music (if using music) - we will provide speakers with AUX ports
- costume (if using a costume)
- one (1) page paper
Students will be evaluated on World Dance audition elements, group class, solo performance, and enthusiasm for this field.