How to Apply
1. Prepare your documents Families applying for TK or kindergarten and families who are new to SFUSD should gather the following documents and be prepared to submit them with their application. For current SFUSD parents/guardians who haven’t changed their home address, only photo identification is required. If the home address has changed, parents/guardians must provide one proof of address and photo identification.
Acceptable Proofs of Home Address:
Proofs of home address must be original and include the name and address of the parent or guardian.
- Utility service contract, statement or payment receipts; from agencies such as PG&E, water, cable, or garbage within 45 days (no cell phone bills or bank statements will be accepted)
- Both automobile registration and auto insurance policy (declarations page), must be current (count as one proof)
- Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy, must be current
- Property tax statement, must be current assessment year.
- Correspondence from a government agency within 45 days
- Grant deed, title of property
- Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts within 45 days
- Section 8 agreements, must be current
- Affidavit of residency executed by the parent or legal guardian of a pupil
- Pay stubs, within 45 days
- Voter registration, must be current
Sorry, we cannot accept cell phone bills or bank statements as proof of address.
2. Complete the application Applications for 2020-21 will be available beginning on October 21, 2019 at the Educational Placement Center or at any SFUSD school. You can also download and print the application. Please complete all sections of the application. Incomplete applications cannot be processed as on time. Remember to sign the application to verify that the information provided is accurate. Applications should list the schools and programs where your child wants to enroll in order of preference. Students can request any SFUSD school within their grade level. There is no limit to the number of schools that students can request.
3. Submit the application If you are a student who is new to SFUSD, submit your application at the Education Placement Center.
If you are a student applying for a non-transitional grade, meaning 1-5, 7-8 or 10-12, submit your application at the Educational Placement Center.
If you are transferring schools within SFUSD, submit your application at the Educational Placement Center.
If you are applying for kindergarten and have an older sibling currently attending an SFUSD elementary school, submit your application at the sibling's SFUSD school. Additional application collection sites.
4. Schedule language assessments if needed Students who speak a language other than English and list a Dual Language Pathway as a school choice may be assessed for their current language skills to evaluate their proficiency in the pathway language. Students who list only English on the Home Language Survey may also be assessed if requested by parent. Parents/guardians should submit their child’s enrollment application early to meet with an EPC counselor and complete the necessary assessments. More information on assessments can be found in English Learners: How to Apply.
Come to the Educational Placement Center to speak with a counselor if you need help with your application.
555 Franklin Street, Room 100
San Francisco, CA 94102
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.