SFUSD VILS Program
The Verizon Innovative Learning Schools (VILS) Program in SFUSD provides over 4,000 students and 350+ teachers at our 7 VILS Middle Schools with a Cellular Capable Device and 24/7 Access to the Internet via Verizon's LTE Network.
Technology Resources for VILS Schools
SFUSD is part of a national network of schools and districts across the country that have received a grant from the Verizon Foundation to help close the digital divide for students and teachers! The SFUSD Middle Schools involved in this innovative program are Denman, Everett, Francisco, Hoover, James Lick, Roosevelt, and Willie Brown.
VILS School Websites
How Do I Connect to the Verizon Network?
Follow the instructions, below, or watch this video on how to connect to the Verizon Network.
Setup Instructions for Chromebooks
1. Connect to a network. Chromebooks need the Internet to function.
Turn on your SFUSD Chromebook, and look for the Wi-Fi icon in the bottom right corner of the screen:
Click on that icon and click where it says “No network”. This opens a new window that allows you to choose your home wi-fi network or the hotspot we gave you. Click on the name of your home Wi-Fi or the hotspot. It will ask you to enter the password:
Sometimes there is a big window in the center of the screen telling you “Network not available”. Instead of clicking on the Wi-Fi icon in the bottom corner, you can use that big window to choose your Wi-Fi network. Click the down triangle (▼) to choose your home Wi-Fi or hotspot. Click on the name of the Wi-Fi network, and it will ask you to type in the password.
For Verizon LTE enabled devices: you can choose the Verizon LTE Network. 1) Turn on Mobile data. 2 )Select the “Verizon Wireless” network. If a Wi-Fi network is available, your Chromebook will always connect to Wi-Fi rather than a mobile network. To only use mobile data, turn off Wi-Fi.
2. Log in with your SFUSD account
Only SFUSD accounts will be able to log in to this Chromebook. Regular Gmail accounts will not work.
When you see the screen that reads "Sign in to your Chromebook," type in your entire school email address, including the @sfusd.edu part:
Click the blue “Next” button:
When you see the pop-up that reads "Welcome," type in your password carefully. Passwords must be typed exactly right to work.
Click the blue “Next” button again.
Now, you are connected, logged in, and ready to use your Chromebook!
Using Your Chromebook
Want to learn how to use your Chromebook? Check out these video tutorials to learn about the track pad, the accessibility features, and much more!
Resetting Your iPad
Please us the following steps to reset the iPad:
- Select Settings on the Home Screen
- Select "General"
- Select "Reset"
- Select "Erase All Content and Settings"
- Select "Erase"
- Select "Erase"
The iPad will now reset, restart and bring you back to the setup assistant. Refer to the iPad setup instructions, above, if you need help setting up your iPad again.
What should I do if my LTE does not work?
- Turn on Airplane Mode
- On your iPad, open Control Center, by swiping down from the top left corner of your screen
- Next, tap the Airplane Mode button to turn it on.
You can also go to Settings and select Airplane Mode to turn it on there.
- After waiting 20 seconds, tap the "Airplane Mode" button again to turn it off.
- Try reconnecting to the Verizon LTE network again by making sure the green cellular button is green. If you have a poor wifi signal, and only want to use the Verizon LTE network, you should switch off wifi.
- If toggling Airplane Mode on and off does not fix the issue try restarting the iPad by holding down the power button until the "swipe to power down" message shows on the screen. Then press and hold the power button until the white apple appears on the screen.
- If that doesn't work, you can also try to do what is called a "hard reset" by holding down the power button and home button until you see the white apple logo reappear.
Note: If LTE still does not work after troubleshooting, submit this Google form, bit.ly/VILS-LTEreport.