Garfield Elementary School
School code number: 562
Grade level: K-5
Hours: 7:50 a.m. - 1:50 p.m.
420 Filbert Street, San Francisco, CA, 94133
Neighborhood: North Beach
School Loop: garfield-sfusd-ca.schoolloop.com
Principal: Jason Owens
- ADA Access Guide
- School Accountability Report Card
- Balanced Score Card
- School Quality Improvement Index report
Discover This School
The Garfield school vision is that every child will develop positive self-esteem; be a life-long learner; achieve academic, personal and vocational success at all stages of life; and have a strong sense of personal and civic responsibility. We believe that equity means meeting each student's needs, as well as recognizing and supporting student success at all levels. We promote social justice among our students by creating a safe environment where students feel comfortable to share thoughts and feelings. To help students develop the courage to do what is right, we read justice-themed books and roleplay different points of view.
Our teachers make learning fun through the use of games, songs, and special projects. Schoolwide events, such as holiday and multicultural performances, and assemblies that recognize student achievement, create a strong community that builds students' confidence. We believe in strong, frequent, and meaningful communication with families. Avenues of communication include weekly bulletins, classroom newsletters, and weekly Student Success Team meetings to help parents develop strategies for improving attendance and academic achievement.
This school feeds into:
School ToursWednesdays at 8:45 a.m. by appointment only. Please call at least 24 hours in advance to reserve a spot.
Afterschool ProgramsGarfield afterschool program: 1:50 to 6:00 p.m., grades K to 5. Scholarship and sliding-scale fee-based. Includes homework support, snacks, and enrichment activities/sports/clubs.
Special Education Programs
- Designated instructional services
- Resource specialist program
- Mild/moderate separate classes (autism)
- Cantonese Immersion (grades K-3, continuing to grow through grade 5)
- Cantonese Biliteracy (grade 4 only)
Student Support ProgramsRestorative practices, student success team, learning support professional, student advisor
Arts and EnrichmentCommunity-based organization: Leap... Imagination in Learning once to twice weekly, visual arts teacher bi-weekly, SF Symphony
School Day Academic Enrichment
- Art and instrumental music
- Various arts experiences through visiting artists, including but not limited to the SF Symphony, LEAP, Alphabet Rockers, Chinese Opera, Drumming, Dance and more.
- Librarian two times a week, physical education, differentiated learning opportunities in classroom-based learning centers, club days, garden