Apply for Transitional Kindergarten
In accordance with the Kindergarten Readiness Act, in the 2014-15 school year, children who turn 5 years old on or before September 1st will be admitted into Kindergarten. Children who turn 5 years old on September 2nd through December 2nd in 2014 are age-eligible for an extra year of public school, Transitional Kindergarten (TK).
Transitional Kindergarten bridges the preschool and Kindergarten years. Taught by a multiple-subject credentialed teacher, TK is part of a two-year Kindergarten program that offers a modified curriculum which is based on the CA Preschool Learning Foundations and the Kindergarten Common Core Standards. This grade level provides children time to build necessary social, developmental, and academic skills for Kindergarten success and beyond.
At the time of application, eligible students will be placed in Transitional Kindergarten for the 2014-2015 school year then continue into Kindergarten for the 2015-2016 school year.
Transitional Kindergarten is offered at the following SFUSD Early Education Schools (EES) and Elementary Schools (ES). Please note that Ulloa ES is only offering a TK Cantonese Biliteracy Program. Families interested in visiting Transitional Kindergarten classrooms should contact the sites directly to schedule a tour.
Transitional Kindergarten Sites for the 2014-15 School Year:
- Argonne EES, 750 – 16th Avenue, S.F., CA. 94118 (Richmond District), (415) 750-8617
- Commodore Stockton EES, 1 Trenton Street, S.F., CA. 94108 (Chinatown), (415) 291-7932
- Dr. Charles R. Drew ES, 50 Pomona Street, S.F., CA. 94124 (Bayview), (415) 330-1526
- John McLaren EES, 2055 Sunnydale Avenue, S.F., CA. 94134 (Visitacion Valley), (415) 469-4519
- Junipero Serra Annex EES, 155 Appleton Street, S.F., CA. 94110 (Outer Mission/Bernal Heights), (415) 920-5138
- Leola M. Havard EES, 1520 Oakdale Avenue, S.F., CA. 94124 (Bayview/Hunters Point), (415) 695-5660
- Noriega EES, 1775-44th Avenue, S.F., CA. 94122 (Outer Sunset), (415) 759-2853
- Presidio EES, 387 Moraga Avenue, S.F., CA. 94129 (Presidio National Park), (415) 561-5822
- Redding ES, 1421 Pine Street, S.F., CA 94109 (Nob Hill), (415) 749-3525
- Tule Elk Park EES, 2110 Greenwich Street, S.F., CA. 94123 (Marina/Cow Hallow), (415) 749-3551
- Ulloa ES, 2650 - 42nd Avenue, S.F., CA. 94116 (Parkside), (415) 759-2841
- Zaida T. Rodriguez EES, 421 Bartlett Avenue, S.F., CA. 94110 (Mission District), (415) 695-5844
APPLY & ENROLL
The application and enrollment process for Transitional Kindergarten parallels the application and enrollment process for elementary schools as described in the “Apply” and “Enroll” sections of this guide. Please see the policy section for a description of the TK assignment process. Parents who are interested in Transitional Kindergarten should complete a regular Enrollment Application form. Submit the form and supporting documents to the Educational Placement Center located at 555 Franklin Street, Room 100; San Francisco, CA. 94102.
TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM TIE-BREAKERS
Students who are eligible and are requesting Transitional Kindergarten will be assigned to their highest ranked request as long as there is space at the school. If there are more students applying than there are openings at a school, choice assignments will be made by looking to all the possible combinations of tie-breakers in the following hierarchical order:
Students who have been enrolled in a pre-K program in the 2013-14 school year where TK will be offered in 2014-15 will receive this tiebreaker for their current school.
In an effort to support families with siblings, the TK student will have a tiebreaker for the site where a younger sibling is already attending a pre-K program. Siblings are defined as students with the same parent/guardian and living at the same address.
Students who live in areas of the city with the lowest average test scores.
Students who do not have a tie-breaker.
If these tie-breakers do not resolve ties, then ties will be resolved by random lottery.