August 6, 2021
Greetings Bessie Families,
Welcome to the 2021- 2022 school year! We are so excited to welcome our scholars on campus on Monday, August, 16th! We are so proud of our Bessie Scholars for the courage and resilience they have demonstrated over the past 17 months and can’t wait to see them thrive in person this Fall.
For those of you new to our community, it is an honor that your family has chosen Bessie to support your scholar through their PK-8th grade academic experience. Our skilled and devoted staff are already planning and preparing for your child(ren) to ensure that we provide each and every with a deep and meaningfully rigorous academic and socio emotional learning experience. This year we aim to continue focussing our work to attain our school vision,
“At Bessie, we are anti-racist educators who are committed to providing each and every student with a balance of meaningfully rigorous socio-emotional and academic learning experiences so that they leave Bessie PK-8, high school, college, and career ready.”
There have been a few changes in the Bessie community over the Summer. We want to send a huge welcome to those new in our community, including our Assistant Principal, Ms. Sundby (Introduction Letter). The entire Bessie team is looking forward to the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year on August 16th, and our return to full-time, in-person school for our scholars. It will feel good to see our community reunited again, and to enjoy the positive energy that comes with the launch of a new school year.
Rasheena Bell, Principal Michelle Sundby, Assistant Principal Charlotte Pickett, Assistant Principal
“Education is an act of love, and thus an act of courage.” -Freire
Back to School Information
NEW Start & End Times
Arrival Daily PK-8
Dismissal Pre-K TK-5 6-8
3:30 PM (Wed. 2:30 PM) 3:45 PM (Wed. 2:30 PM) 4:00 PM (Wed. 2:15 PM)
Covid Safety Protocols: We value in person learning and want to ensure that we are able to preserve in person learning for our scholars. Thus, health and safety remain our top priorities. SFUSD is working closely with health experts to implement health and safety protocols to return safely. We continue to encourage eligible staff, students and family members to get vaccinated. This is one of the most important things we can do to protect ourselves and each other. Vaccinated people are less likely to get severe symptoms from COVID. Please consult the latest SFUSD Communications letter for more information regarding safety, testing, and vaccines for eligible students. As a community we will implementing the COVID safety protocols listed below. Please discuss them at home with your child(ren).
- Daily Health Screening: It is mandatory for all staff and families to conduct a health screening before coming to school. Please stay home if you have any Covid-19 symptoms, or answer yes to any of the following questions:
- In the last 24 hours, including today, have you had a COVID-19 SYMPTOM that is new or not explained by another condition?
- In the past 10 days, have you been diagnosed with COVID-19 or had a test confirming you have the virus?
- If you are NOT fully vaccinated, in the past 10-14 days, have you had “close contact” with anyone who has COVID-19, during their contagious period?
- Masks: Wearing masks continues to be one of the number one ways to prevent the spread of COVID. Students and staff must wear masks indoors and outdoors, except when eating and drinking. Families must wear masks when dropping off their child(ren).
- Meals: SFUSD will be providing meals free of charge. We will be keeping all doors and the rolling windows open to allow for airflow. We will also be utilizing the outdoor garden as a dining space to allow more space between students in the cafeteria.
- Hand washing: We will encourage students to frequently wash their hands or use hand sanitizer.
- Campus Access: At this time, campus access is limited to students and staff. Families will not be allowed on campus at this time.
- School Events: All events/meetings will be held virtually. This includes assemblies, parent meetings, celebrations, etc.
SFUSD Family Portal, ParentVUE: One way to be sure you and your child(ren) are set up for the school year is to sign up for ParentVUE. If you have not already done so, please activate your SFUSD Family Portal (ParentVUE) account. ParentVUE accounts are easy to set up, are the best way for you to stay connected to what’s going on in the district and in your student’s learning, including:
- Helping your student engage in learning, by accessing their login information to SFUSD digital learning platforms.
- Seeing important academic information, including your student’s schedule, participation in distance learning, assignments, grades, and report cards.
- Submitting important forms and documents, including emergency cards, media release forms, and more.
- Receiving timely communications from your school and from SFUSD, by updating your phone number, email address, and mailing address.
For more information about creating your ParentVUE account, please visit sfusd.edu/parentvue. You will need an activation code to set up your account. Contact your school or the Family Resource Link at 415-340-1716 or email@example.com.
Pre-K/TK Pick Up and Drop Off Procedures
- Pre-K/TK families must sign their child in and out each day.
- Drop off is at 9:30 am at the Sherman Street gate.
- If you arrive after 9:45, please enter at the 7th street gate.
- Pre-K/TK pick up is at 3:30. If you arrive after 4pm, you will need to pick up at the 7th street gate.
K-5 Pick Up and Drop Off Procedures
- Walk up or Drive up drop off is at 9:15 am at the Sherman Street gate.
- If you arrive after 9:45 am, you will need to enter at the 7th street gate, where drive up drop off is not available.
- Students will be served breakfast from 9:15 - 9:30 am.
- Pick up is at 3:45 pm. If you arrive after 4pm, you must pick up at the 7th street gate.
6-8 Pick Up and Drop Off Procedures
- Walk up or Drive up drop off is at 9:00 am at the gate to the yard.
- Grab and Go breakfast will be provided to all students.
- Walk up or Drive up pick up is at 4pm.
- Students who are picked up late will be in the office.
Orientation and Class Assignments
- Below are ways that you can find out your child’s schedule and teacher name.
- Sign up for SFUSD’s family portal, ParentVUE (instructions listed above). Our family portal will give you access to important academic information, including their schedule.
- We will be holding two orientations. One will be held on Monday, 8/16 at 5pm and the other will be held on Tuesday, 8/17 at 10:15 am. This orientation is mandatory for new families and optional for returning families. The link for both orientations is, https://tinyurl.com/BessiePrincipalChat.
Before School Care
We understand that our new start time may create a hardship for families who have work that begins prior to our school start time. We have been working closely with Mission Graduates to provide before school care. At this time, Mission Graduate will be able to provide before school care for our PK-5th grade students; space is limited. Before School Care will start at 8:00am, Monday through Friday. Priority will be given to working families with conflict schedules who
have no morning Flexibility. Registration is mandatory, please click this link to register, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSemseVHReiBm61Rq4Pp9ITJgsYDU4-38EIYDrXSv8as3_P2Tw/viewform.
After School Programming
We are excited that Mission Graduates will be providing in person after school programming K-8 in collaboration with Galing Bata. Mission Graduates will provide homework support and a wide range of enrichments that align with our communities diverse needs and establish college education as an expectation and goal for every child. After school programming is offered from dismissal to 6:15pm. If you are interested in registering your child in Mission Graduates After School programming click here, https://schoolcareworks.com/registration/missiongraduates/start_registration.jsp#