2022-23 C.A.R.E. Buchanan School Bell Schedule
More about this school
School TypeCounty School (9-12)
- Sylvia Lepe Reyes
HoursMo - Fr: 9:30 am-2:45 pm
NeighborhoodLower Haight/Western Addition
School MealsBreakfast, Lunch
View menus at sfusd.edu/menus.
What is C.A.R.E.?
There are two C.A.R.E. (Center for Academic Re-entry and Empowerment) programs. They are small high schools which are a partnership between the San Francisco County Office of Education (SFUSD) and the Bayview and Buchanan YMCAs, housed on site at the YMCA. We serve students who have missed significant amounts of school or who have dropped out entirely.
What are the requirements to enroll and with whom does C.A.R.E. work?
- C.A.R.E. can serve all high school students, but focuses on students in their first and second year of high school (typically 14 and 15 years old).
- C.A.R.E. typically serves students who have been recommended for expulsion, are foster, homeless or referred by a SARB Board.
- Most students are recommended by a PO or Case Manager. However, students/families can work with their school via a referral to email@example.com submitted by the School Counselor or Social Worker.
- The placement process involves an interview and assessment to ensure that the services provided are the best match for the student and family.
What classes are offered?
- C.A.R.E. offers a one room schoolhouse model with one General Education Teacher and a Special Education Teacher.
- Areas of study include English Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Health, P.E., and Advisory. Other electives may be offered when needed.
- YMCA staff and an SFUSD School Counselor/Social Worker offer Advisory classes, in partnership with other Community Based Organizations.
How much credit can students earn?
- Students earn 30 credits a semester, or 15 credits a quarter.
- Students can earn partial credit.
- C.A.R.E. is not credit recovery, but instead a re-entry program for students who have had interrupted schooling. Students earn credit for all participation at C.A.R.E.
How long do students typically stay?
- There is no maximum stay. However, students typically attend for one semester. Each student's transition plan is developed individually with student and family input.
- What other services are available through the YMCA?
- College and career exploration opportunities including field trips
- Case management
- Resources and referrals for families
- Job readiness training
- Entrepreneurship and micro-loan opportunities
School Day Academic Enrichment
Student Support Programs
Job readiness programs
Address1530 Buchanan Street, San Francisco, CA, 94124
1530 Buchanan Street, San Francisco, CA 94124Get directions
M-F 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.