How to Apply to Independence High School

How to Apply to Independence HS

Independence accepts new students every Hexamester

Enrollment Requirements for Independence High School 2023-2024 and 2024-2025

  • 9t​h​ -12th​ Grade students are eligible to enroll at Independence High School.

  • If a student has an IEP, the Content Specialist must agree that independent study is appropriate and sign the Voluntary Transfer paperwork (VT). Out of district IEPs must be provided to Independence High School for approval of placement.

  • If a student is designated as an English Language Learner, then additional entrance requirements apply. 

    School tours are every other Monday at 2pm- see our calendar on the main page.


Students currently enrolled in a SFUSD public school

What are the steps?

Your current school counselor will fill out a ​Voluntary Transfer to Alternative School paperwork.
IEP’s and 504 must be attached to VT paperwork.

Voluntary Transfer Steps

Student & Family meets with current Counselor to fill out Voluntary Transfer (VT) paperwork. Email VT to Jennifer Roffle

Independence High School will contact family (within 2 school days) to schedule an Orientation.

Student & Family attend Orientation, decide to proceed with transfer (or not) and then a start date will be determined.


Students NOT enrolled in a SFUSD public school (charter, private, out of district, out of school)

What are the steps?

Enrollment Steps 

Your family will fill out an enrollment application with SFUSD at :
Educational Placement Center
555 Franklin Street

San Francisco, CA 04102 (415) 241-6085 - call first to confirm hours during school closure

or apply online 

In order to apply you will need the following documents:

  1. Parent/Guardian’s Picture ID

  2. Proof of Birth

  3. Two proofs of Residency (utility bill, homeowner or renter’s insurance, property tax, etc) dated within the last 45 days

Choose Independence (school 466) on the EPC application and we will reach out to you when we receive your application

8th Grade Families

We accept Voluntary Transfers directly from 8th Grade-you do not need to go through the EPC process. Fill out this form with your 8th Grade counselor. You can use this Voluntary Transfer Application and send directly to our counselor, Jennifer Roffle


Transfer form

Current SFUSD students - use the form below

This page was last updated on January 31, 2024