Kindergarten at Jefferson
Our Jefferson teachers make kindergarten a very special year of exploration for the kids – in and out of the classroom, academically as well as socially. They supplement the standard curriculum with:
- The school garden, an important extension of kids’ play and of the grade’s science curriculum, “Exploring the Environment through the Senses.”
- Collaboration with the Children’s Garden in Strybing Arboretum, which includes visits from garden instructors and field trips to the Children’s Garden.
- Science-based field trips that extend classroom curriculum – visits to the Discovery Museum, the Academy of Sciences, Crissy Field, the San Francisco Zoo, Windrush Farm, and Stow Lake.
- Participation in the San Francisco Opera Aria program, in which K students create and perform their own opera.
- Instruction in music and dance, plus a trip to see a live performance by Children's Theatre Association at the Palace of Fine Arts Theater.
Kindergarten teachers: Annalise Simonson, Beatriz Solorio, Kirsten Surber, and Mary Baird.
First Grade at Jefferson
How do our teachers make 1st grade special at Jefferson? With projects and activities that supplement the standard curriculum:
- Motor perception once a week.
- Meeting with 4th/5th grade reading buddies.
- Science exploration including air and weather, liquids and solids, and plants and animals.
- Incorporating study in dance, ceramics, and vocal music.
- When permitted, field trips to the San Francisco Zoo, Cal. Academy of Sciences, San Francisco Symphony, the Palace of Fine Arts Theater for a live performance by Children's Theatre Association, plus monthly visits to Mother’s Meadow.
First Grade teachers: Jennifer Tom, Cassandra Paran, Kellie Forbes, and Annie Lum.
Second Grade at Jefferson
Our Second Grade teachers look out for every child, and design programs and projects to meet individual needs. The year at Jefferson includes:
- Learning about plant and animal life cycles.
- Studying and writing poetry.
- Special Science and Math nights, which alternate by year.
- Junior Olympics participation and competition.
- Music and movement.
- Field trips to the Children’s Garden, Academy of Sciences, Children’s Theater at the Legion of Honor, Asian Art Museum, San Francisco Symphony, de Young Museum, 826 Valencia, and more.
Second Grade teachers: Laura Alonso, Sequoia Baioni, Kim Probst, and Cathy Giovannelli.
Third Grade at Jefferson
The program for our Third Graders includes:
- Learning math through games that involve problem solving, manipulatives, and logic.
- Studying the Ohlone tribe and creating a mural about aspects of their life.
- Participating in motor perception once a week.
- Meeting weekly with their kindergarten Reading Buddies.
- Learning to play the recorder and giving a performance for students and parents.
- Going on field trips to destinations like the Academy of Sciences, Conservatory of Flowers, SFMOMA, the Exploratorium, the Haas-Lilienthal House, bowling, and museums.
Third Grade teachers: Allison Lee, Helen Kanbara, Starla Rose, and Andrew Tinsman.
Fourth Grade at Jefferson
Jefferson Fourth Grade classes:
- Work on projects about the California missions.
- Write biography reports.
- Work on projects about immigration.
- Participate in motor perception.
- Go on field trips – to Angel Island, the Academy of Sciences, Treasure Island Sailing Center – and to hear the San Francisco Symphony.
- Are offered new responsibilities and opportunities: instrument lessons, monitor jobs that support the school, and the vice president and treasurer positions on the Jefferson student council.
Fourth Grade teachers: Amy Lee, Loret Peterson (4th/5th), and Emma Purkey.
Fifth Grade at Jefferson
Jefferson Fifth Graders learn through projects integrated with field trips that include:
- Reports on the 50 states.
- Brochures about colonial America.
- Reports on famous women.
- Game boards about explorers.
- Learning about the solar system.
- Field trips, such as an overnight to the Marin Headlands, sailing on the Alma, and traveling to Angel Island.
Fifth Grade teachers: Marcy Johnson, Loret Peterson (4th/5th) and Julie Pavlos.
Special Education at Jefferson
Our students with special needs are supported by the Special Day Class teachers and the Resource Specialists (RSPs).
Special Day Class teachers: Joseph Phillips (K-2) and Victoria Bautista (3-5)
Resource (RSP) teachers: Steve O'Reilly and Leigh Miles
Support Staff at Jefferson
We have many additional staff that support our students at Jefferson.
Social Worker: Heather Golden
Academic Response to Intervention Teachers (ARTIFs): Kelly Carter and Tony Acquarelli
Librarian and Media Specialist: Sarah Cahuas
Physical Education Teacher: Michael Flynn
Garden Teacher: A.J. Cucalon
Visual and Performing Arts Teachers (VAPA): Michael Ryther and Joseph Churchill
We also have Related Services Teachers that support our students with IEPs (staff assigned yearly as needed)
Speech: Nikol Neiger
OT: Livia Petronio
PT: Danielle Bergstedt
Psychologist: Marina Antonio