Welcome Back to In-Person School
August 6, 2021
Dear Civic Center Families and Students,
I am so excited to welcome you back to school at Civic Center. We are planning for a full program of in-person learning starting August 16th and we can’t wait to see all of your kids back in the building. Some notes about start of school:
- Week One will be Welcome Week at Civic- students will meet their Advisor, meet classmates, play games, get free books and Civic gear, learn about our new schedule, attend workshops and celebrate with an outside meal every day.
- All families will be invited to a conference with their child and their Advisor the first week back, either in person or via Zoom or phone, so expect a call or email next week.
- Each student will be enrolled in classes for up to six weeks, so we will be continuing that structure - for six week hexamesters.
- Students should expect to be “doing school” for 20-30 hours a week including in class, project based and independent learning.
- Academic classes will take place in the morning and afternoon will be time for “Personalized Learning/Deeper Learning Projects”- teacher and student-led electives and projects. Some project examples include music, fiber arts, exploring Golden Gate Park, anime and Japanese culture, wildlife photography and advanced media arts.
- Classes will start at 9:00 am - students will receive their schedules during the first week of school.
- Fridays will be our Community Building day when students will meet with their Advisors, attend school-wide activities with Community Partners and grade-level workshops. Students get out at 2:00 on Fridays.
- Everyone must complete a health screening every single morning before heading out for school for the day, if you are not feeling well, please stay home and report your illness to the school office.
- Everyone must wear a mask at school at all times, indoors and outdoors while on the campus, with the exception of when eating and drinking. Many of you have questions about our campus safety practices and policies. SFUSD closely follows the guidance of the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) and we will communicate any major shifts or changes.
- Most Muni lines are back up and running and MUNI is FREE for students 18 and under now- no Clipper card needed.
- Breakfast and lunch are also FREE this year, so take advantage of the healthy food we serve everyday in the cafeteria.
Students will receive info to their school email addresses before August 16, so make sure they are checking that email account.
We are so excited to welcome your students back to school!
Anita Summerlin, Principal
This page was last updated on August 9, 2021