Weekly School Bulletin
December 4, 2019
December 2-6 Inclusive Schools Week
December 2-6 Advisory Door Decorating Contest
December 5 Food Bank
December 7 Saturday School 10-1pm
December 10 School Tour @ 9:30am
December 11 Longfellow ES Feeder School Tour @ 10am
December 11 STEAM Night @5:30pm
December 12 Hour of Code
December 12 Food Bank
December 13 Coffee with Admin- Winter Celebration @ 10am
December 13 Polynesian Club Assembly
December 17 PTSA Board Meeting @ 8:05am
December 17 School Tour @ 9:30am
December 19 Grades Due
December 20 Fall Semester Awards
December 20 Last Day of School
- Congratulations to Denman students, Ruby Chen, Ever Keegstra and Henry Witt, who were selected through auditions to perform with The ODC Professional Dance Company during the production of The Velveteen Rabbit. Following is an article from the SF Chronicle Datebook highlighting the production! Great Job Ruby, Ever and Henry! The Velveteen Rabbit, SF Chronicle
- Welcome Back, Geraldine Punzalan, Denman School Social Worker. Geraldine returned this week from maternity leave; we are excited to have you back! Thank you Rosa Marcelo-Huerta who was our School Social Worker this past semester. We wish you all the best at ER Taylor, Elementary School. Denman appreciates your dedication to our students and families.
- Chess Club- Spring Semester! If you are interested in joining the Chess Club during spring semester, please see Ms. Lai, Librarian. The Chess Club will take place for 10 weeks, starting Tuesday, January 7th. Chess Club will meet every Tuesday in the Library during lunch. Chess Club will have a professional instructor who will teach students of all levels. The Chess Club has a max of 30 participants. Thank you to Denman PTSA and Student Andrew Ballantyne for making this happen for our community!
- 8th Grade Camping Trip! This year, we are able to offer an outdoor education experience to 60 of our 8th grade students to overnight camp at Caritas Creek in Occidental, CA during the first week of February, 2/3 through 2/7. Students will be selected on a first-come basis and take part in an application process. This opportunity will be both academic and enriching for our students. Denman Staff will be chaperoning as well Caritas Creek staff. More information will be going home to 8th grade students next week during advisory. Huge Thank You to Sheila Ryan, Counselor for bringing this partnership to Denman!
- My People Club will be writing holiday cards to children at the Immigration Camps at the border. If any students would like to join in next week, please see Ms. Soto, club sponsor in Room 120.
- Inclusive Schools Week is December 2- 6. Inclusive Schools Week has celebrated the progress that schools have made in providing a supportive and quality education to an increasingly diverse student population, including students who are marginalized due to disability, gender, socio-economic status, cultural heritage, language preference and other factors. The Week also provides an important opportunity for educators, students and parents to discuss what else needs to be done in order to ensure that their schools continue to improve their ability to successfully educate all children. Denman will be celebrating Inclusive Schools Week with various activities during advisory and lunchtime.
- Advisory Door Decorating Contest! Advisories will be competing with each other for best holiday door decorations! Awards will be presented to the winning advisories! Good luck to all!
- STEAM Night on Wednesday, December 11th from 5:30-7:30om. All Denman students and families are invited to attend! Student work will be showcased, games and activities, food and raffle prizes! Please bring an unwrapped toy to donate to SFFD Holiday Toy Drive. Following is the link to the flyer. STEAM Night Flyer.2019
- Hour of Code Denman will be participating in Hour of Code on Thursday, December 12th all day; students will be coding in their Math Classes. Denman Circle to School Partners- Salesforce will be volunteering in all of the Math classes for the day. Denman is super excited to have ALL students coding!
- Coffee with Admin- Winter Family Celebration on Friday, December 13th at 9:00am in the Library. Please join us for a special Coffee with Admin highlighting and celebrating the school year with all of our Parent Groups- PTSA, ELAC and AAPAC.
- Denman Club Calendar Get involved and join a club! Something for everyone! Club Calendar 19-20
- 2019-20 Student and Family Handbook is available online here. Paper copies are available at the main office in English, Spanish and Chinese.
- Lost and Found Items that do not have a name on them in the lost and found will be donated to Goodwill at the end of each month. The lost and founds is located in the Main Office.
8th Grade High School Information
- 8th Grade Parent Google Classroom Code: ni8ic5n
Please have students turn in high school applications to the Main Office with Ms. Botai or Ms. Than in counseling annex.
Upcoming Open house Dates and Locations:
- Ms. Than will be providing support to all 8th graders during lunch each Monday until the end of the semester. If you need help, check it out!
8th Graders high school shadowing expectations:
- All 8th Graders are allowed 2 Excused absence with a letter from a parent/guardian
Upcoming High School Tours: Field trips through JCYC and First Graduate
- Students interested in attending need to see Justin Butac (JCYC coordinator) in 212 after school from Mondays - Thursdays
Washington High School: Dec. 12th
Community Hours Opportunity
Saturday School Clean-Up on Saturday, December 7th. If you are in need of hours, sign up with Ms. Than. Clean-Up will be from 10am-1pm.
PTSA: THE Denman Pride Fund is LIVE!
Dear Denman Families,
Please consider giving where your dollars will make the most impact. Not only for your family but the families in our community. The Denman PTSA wants to be able to maintain and continue to grow our funding in support of Denman students, teachers and staff. You can make that happen.
See our attached letter for more information on how you can give today!
The Denman PTSA
If you haven’t already joined the PTSA you can do that now! Sign up here: Join the PTSA!
You can also just go straight to our PayPal to give to the Denman Pride Fund
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
James Denman Beacon:
- Waiting List: We are in a staff shortage, we are in the process of hiring. Waiting list will be open as soon and we have capacity. Please keep registering we have room for 30-50 more students. Come visit us in Room 80.
- Case Management: We currently have room on our 14-18 (must be involved in the justice system, and 18-24 case loads. If you have a family member in need of case management services please reach out to our Director of Case Management Will Corpuz email@example.com