Weekly School Bulletin
September 18, 2019
September 16-20 Scholastic Book Fair
September 23-27 Denman Spirit Week
September 23 NorCal Fundraising Assembly
September 24 & 25 iPad Roll-Out
September 24 SSC Meeting @ 4:15 pm
September 24 AAPAC Meeting @ 6 pm
September 25 Early Release @ 12:50 pm
September 26 Washington DC 8th Grade Trip Meeting @ 6pm
September 27 ELAC Meeting @ 9 am
September 30 Picture Day
October 2 Walk and Roll to School
- It was wonderful seeing so many families at Back to School Night! Thank you for coming out! If you need to schedule an appointment with your students’ grade level counselor for any concerns, please contact the school.
- iPad Forms & Info: Please complete the VILS iPad form on a computer/tablet, not a mobile phone. (Other languages are available.) Purchasing insurance for $33 this year is optional. If you do not have Internet access at home, please come to the school. Students with completed online forms will receive their iPads during the school day. Students will be issued iPads on September 24th and 25th during PE classes.
- NorCal Fundraising Cookie Dough Kick-Off Assembly on Monday, September 23rd. Please help raise money for student activities! Students will be selling cookie dough and cheesecakes. Prizes will be awarded for top sellers. If families do not wish to participate, this is a voluntary fun activity. Donations are always welcome!
- Picture Day is coming!: All students will have their picture taken during PE on Monday, September 30th. Ordering information will be distributed in advisories. Please return by September 30th and GIVE IT TO THE PHOTOGRAPHER – checks (payable to Lifetouch) or exact change only!
- School Site Council Nominations Please email Principal Jovick-Berrueta, email@example.com if you are interested in joining the School Site Council; Denman positions that are open include: 3 student positions and 1 parent position.
- 2019-20 Student and Family Handbook is available online. Paper copies are available at the main office in English, Spanish and Chinese.
- 2019-20 Yearbooks are already on sale! If you purchase your yearbook before 9/30, you will receive a 15% discount. If you are new to Denman, you will need to create an account on Treering with the following information: Website Code: 1013667416644714 If you are not new to Denman, your account is still valid and you will be able to purchase your yearbook from that account. This year there is a yearbook webpage with info on it as well: JDMS Yearbook
- Spirit Week Show your school spirit and participate in lunch time activities! Following are the spirit days.
Monday : Pajama Day
Tuesday : TV Show Character
Wednesday : 80’s baby
Thursday : Meme Day
Friday : Fav YouTube star
- SF HIgh School Fair on Saturday, September 21st from 1-3:30pm at Lick-Wilmberding High School. Learn about private, charter and parochial schools in San Francisco.
GIrls Basketball Try-outs will begin on Monday, September 23rd in the Gym. See Mr. Faataui for more information and try-out schedule.
- Boys Baseball Try-outs will begin on Monday, September 23rd in the Gym from 3:45-5pm.
6th grade try-outs on Monday, 9/23;
7th grade try-outs on Tuesday, 9/24 and Thursday, 9/26
8th grade try-outs on Friday, 9/26.
If you are currently on the baseball team, you can try out on any of the above dates.except Friday. See Coach Francisco in Room 107 for more information.
- Locker Distribution: Lockers will be distributed to students once all paperwork, including emergency cards, multi-purpose form and student health form has been submitted to your students’ advisory teachers.
- Free Backpacks: Brand new Backpacks were donated to Denman, if you are in need of a backpack, please see your Counselor or Ms. Soto. Start off the year organized- Get a Backpack! Check it out!
- PTSA: Join the PTSA!
PTSA Clean-Up Day on Saturday, October 5, 2019. Sign up with PTSA and help beautify the school!
- Lost and Found Items that do not have a name on them in the lost and found will be donated to Goodwill at the end of each month. The lost and founds is located in the Main Office.
James Denman Beacon:
- Waiting List: We are in a staff shortage, we are in the process of hiring. Waiting list will be open as soon and we have capacity. Please keep registering we have room for 30-50 more students. Come visit us in Room 80.
- Case Management: We currently have room on our 14-18 (must be involved in the justice system, and 18-24 case loads. If you have a family member in need of case management services please reach out to our Director of Case Management Will Corpuz firstname.lastname@example.org
Life Skills Training (LST)
The Life Skills Training program is a prevention program that uses a comprehensive approach in reducing the use of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs. The program addresses all of the most important factors leading adolescents to use one or more drugs by teaching a combination of health information, general life skills and drug resistance skills. The Cycle is 12-15 weeks for the youth.
When: Fridays: 4:00pm- 5:00pm
Where: 241 Oneida Ave Rm 180
Why: Equip future leaders of tomorrow
Must be in 6th Grade
Students do not have to be in the Beacon Program in order to participate in LST.
There is also a parent component, parents would come in to receive the lesson the students are learning that week.
I'm looking to serve at least 12 youth and 7 parents.
Dinner provided for the Parent component
Snacks provided each class session.