Tours and Frequently Asked Questions
We are thrilled that you and your family are considering Leonard R. Flynn Elementary!
Tours are on selected Wednesdays at 8am from October through January.
- Tour length: about one hour.
- Where to meet: Your guide will be on the yard just inside the Harrison Street entrance
- Appointments: No appointment or reservation is necessary
For more information on dates please see the Flynn PTA website.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the breakdown of the student population (approximately)?
- 65% Latino
- 9% African-American
- 15% Caucasian
- 10% Other
Recess and lunch
What is lunch like? Do the children eat together?
- All students at Flynn receive free breakfast and lunch
- Students have staggered lunch times, separated by grade level
- We want to create a healthy food atmosphere and encourage healthy eating; families are asked not to include prepackaged foods (such as “Lunchables”), chips and sodas
How many recesses will my child get a day?
Do the kids in different grades play together in the yard?
- Play areas are split up by time and location by grade level (for example, fifth graders aren’t playing in the same space as the kindergarteners)
Are students split up by language track?
- Recess and lunch are combined, as well as assemblies and some field trips
Library and curriculum
How much access do the kids have to the computers in the library?
- Every other week during their classroom library visit
What can you tell me about the curriculum?
What is the school’s relationship with the LGBT community?
- We feel we are a true San Francisco school: Multilingual, diverse and open minded...we have teachers and staff of all backgrounds, LGBT families, and welcome all families. We truly want Flynn to be representative of the community and our city.
What is the school doing to ensure there is a good relationship between the Spanish speaking and non-Spanish speaking families?
We strive ensure language is not a barrier to parents working together to improve the educational experience of ALL children. We are working hard to ensure that Flynn is representative of our community and that all families are welcome at Flynn and are able to participate in our community without barrier.
- All literature sent to parents is in both languages
- Headphone translation is provided at school meetings
Please go to our page about the After-School Programs for more information
How do I enter Flynn?
- You will enter Flynn from Harrison Street; if you drive here, you will either park on Precita Park or go through the “Drive Through” drop off area on Harrison Street; access from Cesar Chavez is restricted
This page was last updated on February 24, 2023