English Learners Advisory Council (ELAC)
The purpose of the ELAC (or subcommittee, if appropriate) is to advise the principal and school staff on programs and services for English learners and the School Site Council (SSC) on the development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement. The ELAC also assists the school on other tasks listed below.
The percentage of parents of English learners on the committee must be at least the same as that of English learners at the school.
Requirements for ELAC elections include:
- Parent/guardian members of English learners elect parent members of the school committee or subcommittee
- The parents/guardians are provided the opportunity to vote for committee members
- Each school committee shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
- Districts with 31 or more ELACs may use a system of proportional or regional representation
The committee advises and assists the school as follows:
- The ELAC advises the school principal and staff on: The school’s program for English learners
- The ELAC advises the School Site Council (SSC) on: The development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement
- The ELAC assists in the development of the following: The school’s needs assessment.
- The school’s annual language census (R-30 LC Report)
- Efforts to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance
The district shall provide for all ELAC members:
- Appropriate training and materials to assist each member to carry out his or her legally required advisory responsibilities
- Training planned in full consultation with ELAC members. ElA-LEP and/or district funds may be used to cover the costs of training and attendance of ELAC members (e.g., costs associated with childcare, translation services, meals, and other reasonable expenses)