Marina has three full-time counselors, each assigned to one grade level. Ms. Lau is the secretary in the counseling office and she is a great resource for students, too.
The Marina Middle School School Counseling Program (SCP) delivers comprehensive academic, career, and social-emotional support and services. We create opportunities for EVERY student to explore personal interests, showcase their unique gifts and talents, and engage as global citizens in their community and in the world.
Our students are multicultural and multilingual diverse learners. They are independent, urban natives from working families who bring meaningful histories and dreams for their futures.
The school counselors work in collaboration with school staff, administrators, teachers, parents, and community members to be an advocate for students in order to maximize student potential and academic achievement, to ensure that students may be healthy and productive members of society.
The school counselor assumes a leadership role in the development of an appropriate program of guidance for the school site. Services offered include:
- Collaboration and consultation with students, teachers, families, and other providers to identify strategies to help the student(s) in areas of academics, behavior, and social-emotional well-being.
- Serves as a resource in the area of student intervention using researched and evidence-based practices.
- Provides personal counseling on a 1:1 basis
- Collaborate with Restorative Practices team for peer conflict
- Provides targeted small group counseling
- Provides crisis support with the school team
- Promote high school, college & career readiness
- Assists students in scheduling matters
At Marina, students are assigned counselors based on their current grade level. The counselor will work in collaboration with the student, teachers, families, and other providers until the students are promoted onto high school.
The primary focus for students in the 8th grade is on high school readiness. 8th grade students and families can visit the counseling office to receive support and have any questions answered in regards to selecting and applying to high schools, the general application process, reviewing academic transcripts, calculating GPA, and much more. If students and families have any questions or concerns, please feel free to visit the Marina counseling office or contact their counselor directly via email
Find your Counselor!
This page was last updated on September 12, 2023