Who are AVID Students?
AVID is a national program that was originally designed to support students who will be the first in their families to attend college. AVID’s research-based strategies have been proven beneficial for all students.
The majority of AVID students in SFUSD are from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups in the college going population.
In general, students who are recruited for AVID have:
- GPA of 1.5-3.0
- Willingness to undertake demanding preparation for college
- Desire a supportive, college and career focused classroom community
Many of our AVID students are considered historically underserved by the district. This can include:
- Students who may be the first in their family to attend college
- Students who may be from groups historically underserved by both the K-12 and Higher Education systems
AVID Excel students are students who:
- are classified as Long-Term English Language Learners
- are in grades 6-8.
Are you interested in joining an AVID elective class at your school? Please contact the school directly to learn more.