MOU timelines & procedures.
Allow at least a week for us to review a proposed MOU & identify any revisions before we send you the PDF for signatures.
- Review the FAQs and avoid these common Reasons MOUs are Delayed.
- Before you start: check with the appropriate SFUSD contact.
- Identify the forms you need to provide services or programs at schools.
- See the process from getting started through approval by the Board of Education.
- Follow the timeline and deadlines for submitting MOUs.
Thinking about next year? Forms for FY2023-2024 - Coming Soon!
- We anticipate the updated MOU forms will be ready in April.
- Please note we will not consider MOUs for the new school year until these updates are completed.
How does it work? FAQs, Step by Step guide, and tips to avoid delays.
Before you get started:
Read the FAQs to learn more about completing an MOU!
Check with the appropriate SFUSD contact to clarify your services and proposed locations.
Use these resources to avoid delays:
- Our Step by Step Guide provides instructions, examples and screenshots that walk you through the process.
- Avoid the Top Five Reasons MOUs Are Delayed:
- Insurance certificate is missing required coverage - including full coverage for sexual misconduct.
- The program description doesn’t clearly explain how services will be provided, or contradicts other details in the form.
- MOU names inappropriate SFUSD contact or administrator.
- Check these scenarios for providing services & confirm the forms you'll need.
Timelines & deadlines for MOU approval
Confirm the timeline & deadlines for submitting MOUs.
- The Board of Education has one business meeting each month from January - June 2023.
- Allow at least one week for your proposed MOU to be reviewed and revised as needed, before we send you the PDF ready for signatures.
Confirm the status of an MOU
Check this list to clarify the term for an existing MOU (including when it will, or if it did, expire).
- Check the tab for MOUs in Process to see which are pending approval by the Board of Education.
- New! The list of MOUs now includes links to the online platform to view details about services, including the locations!
- Here’s how to create a user account to see online MOUs, if you don't already have a user / member account.
Adding / changing schools on an approved MOU
Service providers may add or change locations being served through an existing MOU (which does not require approval by the Board of Education).
- Request that change by submitting a “Case” to us through the online system.
- See the Step by Step Guide for detailed instructions on how to request changes to the locations on your MOU.
➪ Before you add or change locations for your MOU, be sure to check in with the SFUSD administrator who will need to approve the changes to your MOU.
COVID Vaccination Requirements & Safety Protocols for In-Person Services
COVID safety guidelines.
- The San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) has updated their isolation and quarantine guidelines to align with guidance shared by the California Department of Public Health.
- Masking continues to be recommended but not required at all district schools and work sites.
- Find updated guidelines at SFUSD's Health & Safety Guidelines website.
- SFUSD's MOU terms for FY22-23 continue to require all in-person service providers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; or, if they cannot receive the COVID vaccine due to disability or a sincerely held religious belief, to be tested weekly.
- These requirements are likely to change for FY23-24 as the State of California & San Francisco Department of Public Health revise COVID guidelines based on public health conditions. Find current information at SFUSD's Health & Safety Guidelines website.
- Note that service providers are responsible for complying with San Francisco DPH guidelines for schools, childcare and youth programs.
Requesting Student Data?
Access to confidential student information is limited by federal law. Be sure to read SFUSD's guidelines for sharing student data.
SFUSD's templates for parent/guardian consent, and for requesting student data (in multiple languages).
SFUSD template to request Directory Information for students/families.
Service providers who access student data must complete the Oath of Confidentiality (which service providers must keep on file)
Who needs a Memorandum of Understanding, or MOU?
When services are provided free to the school or SFUSD, you need an MOU. See the FAQs!
When to use the standard MOU through the online system or a Specialized form.
Resources for Navigating the Process
Programs funded by the Dept. of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF)
Requirements have changed! DCYF grantees need an MOU with SFUSD only when providing services at a school site (in person) or through a school (if providing services virtually).
Read the updated FAQs with common questions for DCYF grantees.
Check out these scenarios for providing services & clarify which forms you'll need.
See the short deck: MOUs 101 for DCYF Grantees
Already have a login to the ExCEL / QAP platform in Salesforce? How to create your MOU login.
Videos to help you navigate the system
Here's the video from a "MOU How-To's" workshop on July 7, 2021 - including questions asked by participants.
Check out other short videos that show you how to:
- Create an account in the new platform
- Find existing MOUs and data about services provided by community partners
- Get started on a new MOU.
Know What You're Signing!
See what’s new with MOU terms for fiscal / school year 2022-23.
Read the standard MOU terms and conditions before you sign the MOU!
Forms you might need for programs or services at SFUSD schools.
Check this flow chart to identify other forms you might need when providing services at SFUSD schools.
Facility Use Permits
Review this flow chart to determine which permit(s) you need to use or provide services at SFUSD facilities
Learn more about using or renting SFUSD facilities.
Apply for a Facility Use Permit through SFUSD's Real Estate office.
Providing Food and/or Beverages to Students & Families
SFUSD prioritizes the wellbeing of our students and their families! Service providers must follow SFUSD's Wellness & Nutrition Guidelines when providing snacks, refreshments and meals. See www.sfusd.edu/bewell
Organizations providing food and/or beverages to students more than once a week as part of their programs must complete this Food Providers Application.
This page was last updated on March 27, 2023