Using and Renting SFUSD Facilities
Fall and Spring 2021 Rental Information
FUPS with start dates between 8/16/2021 and 9/30/2021 must be submitted to the Real Estate Office by 7/1/2021.
We would like to share with you the following useful information on how to submit your Fall and Spring Facilities Use Permits (FUPs) with start dates between 8/16/2021 and 9/30/2021. The following process is for submission of your Fall & Spring FUPs during the summer when site principals are on summer break and not available to sign your FUP. For FUPs with start dates on or after 10/1/2021, please wait until after site principals return and follow the standard FUP process to submit your FUP directly to site principals for their signatures and then submit your signed FUP at least 20 business days prior to the first requested date of use to the Real Estate Office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Permit Applicant to submit the following documents to the Real Estate Office by 7/1/2021 via email to: email@example.com.
a. A completed Facilities Use Permit (FUP) with all required signatures and initials from the Permit Applicant.
b. Applicable Addenda:
Addendum A - Use of Athletic Field/Track. Signed by the Permit Applicant.
Addendum B - Security Contract for District Security T10.
Addendum C - Application for Use of Kitchen. Completed and signed by Student Nutrition Services.
Addendum D - Documentary Filmmaker Checklist. Completed and signed by the Permit Applicant and Office of Public Outreach & Communications Office.
Addendum E- Technical Services Contract.
Addendum H - COVID 19 Health and Safety Protocols. Completed and signed by the Permit Applicant. Addendum H is required for ALL FUPs.
c. Insurance including the Certificate of Insurance and a separate Additional Insured Endorsement Form naming the SFUSD, its Board, officers and employees as additional insured.
2.The Real Estate Office will forward your FUPs with Assistant Superintendents.
3. Assistant Superintendents will sign your FUPs on behalf of the site principals since site principals will not be available during summer break and submit to Real Estate for final approval.
4. Real Estate Office to email invoice to the applicant within 10 business days after receipt of the completed FUP, addenda and insurance from Assistant Superintendents.
5. For outside groups (non-SFUSD & non-governmental agencies) payment must be received by the Real Estate Office within 10 business days after the invoice is sent.
a. SFUSD departments/schools and governmental agencies will have 30 days to submit payment.
6. Real Estate Office to process and send out approved FUPs within 20 business days after receipt of signed FUP, applicable addenda, insurance and payment.
The above process does not apply to ExCEL and Share Schoolyard Program Partners. They should follow the process provided by their respective ExCEL Office and Shared Schoolyard Office to submit their FUPs.
Summer 2021 Rental Information
SFUSD is ready to accept Facilities Use Permits (FUP) for non-Summer Together Programs and activities for Summer 2021 provided that space is available.
Please follow the FUP Instructions to submit your complete permit application for Summer 2021. You will also be required to complete and sign Addendum H and submit it with your permit application. The date range for summer rental is from June 3, 2021 through July 16, 2021.
Please note that this summer all SFUSD school sites are likely locations for the City’s “Summer Together” initiative. School Sites will host the District’s Priority Summer Programs, including ESY, SPED/Mod, EED/OST, ExCEL/Beacon and SpringBoard. The District’s first priority is to accommodate the District’s Priority Summer Programs. Other potential site uses and programs will be considered to the extent no site use conflicts are anticipated. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that your permit application will be approved.
Thank you for understanding and patience. We appreciate your willingness to create more opportunities for our youth this summer.
Announcements - COVID-19
For Permit Applicants:
For Site Principals:
SFUSD Facilities Use Permit Applications, Fees and Online Fee Calculator
Facilities Use Permits are filled out online. You can create or sign in to your online permit user account at http://sfusdpermits.org.
- The built-in fee calculator will be able to calculate the estimated fees for your permit for you! (Please note that because the estimated fees are calculated based on how you fill out the permit application, the fee estimate is subject to change based on Real Estate office review of your application and requested use of facilities.)
- All permit application forms must be printed out, signed by the principal or director of the site you plan to use, and turned in to the Real Estate Office. The Facilities Use Permit FAQ and other information are also available through this system.
- Please note that permits on old PDF forms are no longer accepted - so be sure to set up your user account, fill out and print your permit applications through the online system.
- Remember that all permit application forms must be printed out, signed by the principal or director of the site you plan to use, and turned in to the Real Estate Office.
Important Summer 2021 Dates
Summer rental period: June 3, 2021 - July 16, 2021
Custodial cleaning period (no rental, no exceptions): July 17, 2021 - August 15, 2021
1st day of instruction: Mon, Aug 16, 2021
Resources & Information about Facility Use Permits
Check out our resources about SFUSD facility use permits and fees:
- Facilities Use Permit Instructions
- Addendum H Summer 2021 - non ExCEL activities
- Facilities Use Permit Checklist
- ExCEL Facilities Use Permit FAQ
- SFUSD Approved Security Companies
- Form 116 Biweekly Classified Overtime/extra time report
- Example - How to submit Form116
- Graphic of tiered fees (for user group discounts)
- One-page summary of SFUSD’s facility permit fees
Facility Use Permits Board Policy & Administrative Regulation
Donated Improvements to School Facilities Under Community Recreation Act
SFUSD Facilities Use Permit Structure
In July 2014 SFUSD launched a new, tiered fee schedule for facilities use permits. To develop this new fee structure, we worked with the UC Center for Cities and Schools to calculate the actual costs to the district for facilities use. These costs are comprised of direct and indirect facility costs for utilities, maintenance, furnishing and equipment and direct staffing costs for custodians, security, technical support, and kitchen staff. Both costs are included in the new fee structure
With the updated fee structure:
- All groups will now pay the full cost of staffing, such as having custodians, security, technical support, or kitchen staff on hand
- Facility costs will be discounted for district or school site programs, events serving SFUSD students, and community groups and nonprofits
- Permit application fees will be waived for district or school site programs and events serving SFUSD students
Find out more about the new permit fee schedule (coming soon).
General Permit Information
Anyone using an SFUSD facility outside of the regular school day must have a permit and must pay permit fees. This includes nonprofit groups, public agencies, and private or commercial users. Even SFUSD staff or parent groups need a permit for events that require custodial services. Only a school’s own committees or organizations, such as the School Site Council, ELAC, or PTA, can have a meeting outside of school hours without needing a permit as long as the principal determines that no custodial services are required for this meeting.
Important facts about all SFUSD facility use permits
- The use of school property shall be primarily for public school purposes, and consistent with the California Education Code. Any use of the property other than public school purposes shall be subordinate to this primary purpose. Even outside of the regular school day, school facilities may not be available if other activities have been scheduled by the school principal.
- Submitting a permit application that is incomplete, missing signatures, or failing to meet application requirements will likely result in the permit being delayed or denied. You can use our Facilities Use Permit Checklist to make sure you've covered everything.
- SFUSD may terminate any facility use permit when there are conflicting dates or the property is needed for public school purposes. The District may terminate any permit at any time upon provision of written notice pursuant to permit Section 10 (“Termination”).
- A permit may also be terminated whenever the District has reason to believe that the Permittee has violated applicable rules regarding the use of the school property (pursuant to the Facility Use Permit Terms and Agreements, Section 10, “Termination”), and this violation may constitute grounds for denying further use of SFUSD property.
How do I get a facility use permit?
Here’s a general overview of the permit process. For more detailed information, please download the FAQ.
- A separate, specific permit is required for the rental of each SFUSD facility.
- Contact the school to make sure the facilities you want to use are available, and to schedule use of that space. Please be sure to ask about all the different rooms you hope to use, because some of the rooms may not be available.
- Complete the Facility Use Permit application. Be sure to complete all permit addenda, including those related to staffing and/or technical support for certain facilities use.
- Print out the application and bring it (including any addenda) to the school for the principal to sign.
- The principal will also determine whether (and how many) SFUSD security personnel are required for your event or program.
- Submit your signed permit application, including any relevant addenda, proof of insurance, and a check or money order for the $50 application fee* to SFUSD’s Real Estate office, at 135 Van Ness Ave., Room 116.
Please note that the following groups are exempt from this permit application fee: SFUSD departments and schools; the PTA and site parent groups; ExCEL and Beacon program providers; and programs/events where at least 75% of the participants are SFUSD students, staff or families.
If you have questions, please contact SFUSD’s Real Estate office at:
San Francisco Unified School District: Real Estate and Permit Office
135 Van Ness Avenue, Room 116
San Francisco, CA 94102
T: 415-241-6090 | F: 415-241-6552
Office Hours: M-F, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM