Using and Renting SFUSD Facilities
5/6/22 Summer info meeting PPT slides, click here.
The online permit system for 2022 summer and 22-23 school year permits opened on 5/2/2022 as scheduled.
Please follow the FUP Instructions to obtain your approved permit.
Facilities Use Permit Instructions for school year 2022 -2023 (P23)
A complete Facilities Use Permit Application must be submitted to the Real Estate Office at least twenty (20) business days prior to the first scheduled use. Facilities Use Permit applications that do not meet the 20 business days requirement will be returned to permit applicants. Click here for Facilities Use Instructions.
Electronic Signatures will be accepted for both the permit applicant and site principal.
Addendum H will be required for all Facilities Use Permits. Permit applicants will be responsible for signing and submitting Addendum H along with the completed FUP.
Please submit your current Certificate of Liability Insurance and a separate Additional Insured Endorsement form naming San Francisco Unified School District, its Board, officers and employees as additional insured along with the completed FUP. If you don’t have liability insurance, you may purchase coverage through GatherGuard Insurance. TULIP is no longer an insurance vendor for the District and is no longer accepted by the District
All completed (including Addendum H & insurance) and signed PDF of FUPs must be submitted in portrait format to the Real Estate Office via email: firstname.lastname@example.org for processing and final approval.
We highly encourage you to email your FUP to email@example.com for faster processing and final approval. . Moving forward, this will be our main method of accepting FUPs as it keeps your FUPs and supporting documents in one centralized location and prevents documents from getting lost.If you have difficulty submitting your FUP via email, you may still submit it to our office either by mail or in-person.
If you need assistance regarding your FUP, please call 415-241-6090.
SFUSD Facilities Use Permit Applications, Fees and Online Fee Calculator
Facilities Use Permits are filled out online. You can create or sign in to your online permit user account at http://sfusdpermits.org.
- The built-in fee calculator will be able to calculate the estimated fees for your permit for you! (Please note that because the estimated fees are calculated based on how you fill out the permit application, the fee estimate is subject to change based on Real Estate office review of your application and requested use of facilities.)
- All permit application forms must be printed out, signed by the principal or director of the site you plan to use, and turned in to the Real Estate Office. The Facilities Use Permit FAQ and other information are also available through this system.
- Please note that permits on old PDF forms are no longer accepted - so be sure to set up your user account, fill out and print your permit applications through the online system.
- Remember that all permit application forms must be signed by the principal (electronic signatures are accepted) or director of the site you plan to use, and turned in to the Real Estate Office via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Summer 2022 (P23) Dates
Summer rental period: June 2, 2022 through July 19, 2022.
Custodial cleaning period : July 20, 2022 through August 16, 2022.
1st day of instruction: August 17, 2022.
Last day of instruction: June 2, 2023.
Resources & Information about Facility Use Permits
Check out our resources about SFUSD facility use permits and fees:
- Facilities Use Permit Instructions
- Addendum H - non ExCEL activities
- Summer 2022 (P23) work schedule (Take note: columns Y & Z are reserved for Department of elections 6/7/22, do not submit a request for a facility reserved for Election Day)
- Facilities Use Permit Checklist
- ExCEL Facilities Use Permit FAQ
- SFUSD Approved Security Companies
- Form 116 Biweekly Classified Overtime/extra time report
- Example - How to submit Form116
- Graphic of tiered fees (for user group discounts)
- One-page summary of SFUSD’s facility permit fees
Facility Use Permits Board Policy & Administrative Regulation
Donated Improvements to School Facilities Under Community Recreation Act
SFUSD Facilities Use Permit Structure
In July 2014 SFUSD launched a new, tiered fee schedule for facilities use permits. To develop this new fee structure, we worked with the UC Center for Cities and Schools to calculate the actual costs to the district for facilities use. These costs are comprised of direct and indirect facility costs for utilities, maintenance, furnishing and equipment and direct staffing costs for custodians, security, technical support, and kitchen staff. Both costs are included in the new fee structure
With the updated fee structure:
- All groups will now pay the full cost of staffing, such as having custodians, security, technical support, or kitchen staff on hand
- Facility costs will be discounted for district or school site programs, events serving SFUSD students, and community groups and nonprofits
- Permit application fees will be waived for district or school site programs and events serving SFUSD students
Find out more about the new permit fee schedule (coming soon).
General Permit Information
Anyone using an SFUSD facility outside of the regular school day must have a permit and must pay permit fees. This includes nonprofit groups, public agencies, and private or commercial users. Even SFUSD staff or parent groups need a permit for events that require custodial services. Only a school’s own committees or organizations, such as the School Site Council, ELAC, or PTA, can have a meeting outside of school hours without needing a permit as long as the principal determines that no custodial services are required for this meeting.
Important facts about all SFUSD facility use permits
- The use of school property shall be primarily for public school purposes, and consistent with the California Education Code. Any use of the property other than public school purposes shall be subordinate to this primary purpose. Even outside of the regular school day, school facilities may not be available if other activities have been scheduled by the school principal.
- Submitting a permit application that is incomplete, missing signatures, or failing to meet application requirements will likely result in the permit being delayed or denied. You can use our Facilities Use Permit Checklist to make sure you've covered everything.
- SFUSD may terminate any facility use permit when there are conflicting dates or the property is needed for public school purposes. The District may terminate any permit at any time upon provision of written notice pursuant to permit Section 10 (“Termination”).
- A permit may also be terminated whenever the District has reason to believe that the Permittee has violated applicable rules regarding the use of the school property (pursuant to the Facility Use Permit Terms and Agreements, Section 10, “Termination”), and this violation may constitute grounds for denying further use of SFUSD property.
How do I get a facility use permit?
Here’s a general overview of the permit process. For more detailed information, please download the FAQ.
- A separate, specific permit is required for the rental of each SFUSD facility.
- Contact the school to make sure the facilities you want to use are available, and to schedule use of that space. Please be sure to ask about all the different rooms you hope to use, because some of the rooms may not be available.
- Complete the Facility Use Permit application. Be sure to complete all permit addenda, including those related to staffing and/or technical support for certain facilities use.
- Print out the application and bring it (including any addenda) to the school for the principal to sign.
- The principal will also determine whether (and how many) SFUSD security personnel are required for your event or program.
- Submit your signed permit application, including any relevant addenda, proof of insurance, and a check or money order for the $50 application fee* to SFUSD’s Real Estate office, at 135 Van Ness Ave., Room 116.
Please note that the following groups are exempt from this permit application fee: SFUSD departments and schools; the PTA and site parent groups; ExCEL and Beacon program providers; and programs/events where at least 75% of the participants are SFUSD students, staff or families.
If you have questions, please contact SFUSD’s Real Estate office at:
San Francisco Unified School District: Real Estate and Permit Office
135 Van Ness Avenue, Room 116
San Francisco, CA 94102
T: 415-241-6090 | F: 415-241-6552
Office Hours: M-F, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Additional Forms and Documentation
This page was last updated on May 11, 2022