Using and Renting SFUSD Facilities
The online permit system will open April 17, 2023 for 2023 Summer and Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 permits.
Please be sure to check the 2023 Summer Work schedule to ensure availability. The 2023 Summer Work schedule provides you with an overview of the SFUSD construction projects, SFUSD summer programs, as well as Excel Summer programs at the school sites. If the school is marked "Entire school not available", that school will not be available for summer rental.
2023 Summer Rental Dates
Summer rental period: 6/3/2023 - 7/18/2023
Custodial cleaning period : 7/19/2023 - 8/15/2023 (no permit rentals)
1st day of instruction: 8/16/2023
Last day of instruction: 6/4/2024
Facilities Use Permit Instructions for school year 2022 -2023
A complete Facilities Use Permit Application must be submitted to the Real Estate Office at least twenty (20) business days prior to the first scheduled use. Facilities Use Permit applications that do not meet the 20 business days requirement will be returned to permit applicants. Click here for Facilities Use Instructions.
Electronic Signatures will be accepted for both the permit applicant and site principal.
Please submit your current Certificate of Liability Insurance and a separate Additional Insured Endorsement form naming San Francisco Unified School District, its Board, officers and employees as additional insured along with the completed FUP. If you don’t have liability insurance, you may purchase coverage through GatherGuard Insurance. TULIP is no longer an insurance vendor for the District and is no longer accepted by the District
All completed (including Addendum H & insurance) and signed PDF of FUPs must be submitted in portrait format to the Real Estate Office via email: email@example.com for processing and final approval.
Please email your FUP to firstname.lastname@example.org for faster processing and final approval. Moving forward, this will be our main method of accepting FUPs as it keeps your FUPs and supporting documents in one centralized location and prevents documents from getting lost. If you have difficulty submitting your FUP via email, you may still submit it to our office either by mail or in-person.
If you need assistance regarding your FUP, please call 415-241-6090.
SFUSD Facilities Use Permit Applications, Fees and Online Fee Calculator
Facilities Use Permits are filled out online. You can create or sign in to your online permit user account at http://sfusdpermits.org.
- The built-in fee calculator will be able to calculate the estimated fees for your permit for you! (Please note that because the estimated fees are calculated based on how you fill out the permit application, the fee estimate is subject to change based on Real Estate office review of your application and requested use of facilities.)
- All permit application forms must be printed out, signed by the principal or director of the site you plan to use, and turned in to the Real Estate Office. The Facilities Use Permit FAQ and other information are also available through this system.
- Please note that permits on old PDF forms are no longer accepted - so be sure to set up your user account, fill out and print your permit applications through the online system.
- Remember that all permit application forms must be signed by the principal (electronic signatures are accepted) or director of the site you plan to use, and turned in to the Real Estate Office via email email@example.com.
Resources & Information about Facility Use Permits
Check out our resources about SFUSD facility use permits and fees:
- Facilities Use Permit Instructions
- 2023 -2024 Summer Work Schedule (P24)
- Facilities Use Permit Checklist
- ExCEL Facilities Use Permit FAQ
- Graphic of tiered fees (for user group discounts)
- One-page summary of SFUSD’s facility permit fees
Facility Use Permits Board Policy & Administrative Regulation
Donated Improvements to School Facilities Under Community Recreation Act
- Fillable Donated Improvement MOU
- Donated Improvement MOU instructions
- 23-24 Board Submission Schedule
- 1330.2 Administrative Regulation
SFUSD Facilities Use Permit Structure
In July 2014 SFUSD launched a new, tiered fee schedule for facilities use permits. To develop this new fee structure, we worked with the UC Center for Cities and Schools to calculate the actual costs to the district for facilities use. These costs are comprised of direct and indirect facility costs for utilities, maintenance, furnishing and equipment and direct staffing costs for custodians, security, technical support, and kitchen staff. Both costs are included in the new fee structure
With the updated fee structure:
- All groups will now pay the full cost of staffing, such as having custodians, security, technical support, or kitchen staff on hand
- Facility costs will be discounted for district or school site programs, events serving SFUSD students, and community groups and nonprofits
- Permit application fees will be waived for district or school site programs and events serving SFUSD students
Find out more about the new permit fee schedule (coming soon).
General Permit Information
Anyone using an SFUSD facility outside of the regular school day must have a permit and must pay permit fees. This includes nonprofit groups, public agencies, and private or commercial users. Even SFUSD staff or parent groups need a permit for events that require custodial services. Only a school’s own committees or organizations, such as the School Site Council, ELAC, or PTA, can have a meeting outside of school hours without needing a permit as long as the principal determines that no custodial services are required for this meeting.
Important facts about all SFUSD facility use permits
- The use of school property shall be primarily for public school purposes, and consistent with the California Education Code. Any use of the property other than public school purposes shall be subordinate to this primary purpose. Even outside of the regular school day, school facilities may not be available if other activities have been scheduled by the school principal.
- Submitting a permit application that is incomplete, missing signatures, or failing to meet application requirements will likely result in the permit being delayed or denied. You can use our Facilities Use Permit Checklist to make sure you've covered everything.
- SFUSD may terminate any facility use permit when there are conflicting dates or the property is needed for public school purposes. The District may terminate any permit at any time upon provision of written notice pursuant to permit Section 10 (“Termination”).
- A permit may also be terminated whenever the District has reason to believe that the Permittee has violated applicable rules regarding the use of the school property (pursuant to the Facility Use Permit Terms and Agreements, Section 10, “Termination”), and this violation may constitute grounds for denying further use of SFUSD property.
How do I get a facility use permit?
Here’s a general overview of the permit process. For more detailed information, please download the FAQ.
- A separate, specific permit is required for the rental of each SFUSD facility.
- Contact the school to make sure the facilities you want to use are available, and to schedule use of that space. Please be sure to ask about all the different rooms you hope to use, because some of the rooms may not be available.
- Complete the Facility Use Permit application. Be sure to complete all permit addenda, including those related to staffing and/or technical support for certain facilities use.
- Print out the application and bring it (including any addenda) to the school for the principal to sign.
- The principal will also determine whether (and how many) SFUSD security personnel are required for your event or program.
- Please email your signed permit application and proof of insurance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the following groups are exempt from this permit application fee: SFUSD departments and schools; the PTA and site parent groups; ExCEL and Beacon program providers; and programs/events where at least 75% of the participants are SFUSD students, staff or families.
If you have questions, please contact SFUSD’s Real Estate office at:
San Francisco Unified School District: Real Estate and Permit Office
135 Van Ness Avenue, Room 116
San Francisco, CA 94102
T: 415-241-6090 | F: 415-241-6552
Office Hours: M-F, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Additional Forms and Documentation
This page was last updated on July 18, 2023