Denman Tardy Policy
Absence: If a student is absent from school there are two types of absences they may fall under, excused or unexcused. Both types will still show up on a student attendance profile report. There is more than one way that you can report an absence.
- Call into the school on the morning of the day in which the student will be absent to report the absence by phone (415.469.4535)
- Send the student with an excuse or doctor's note, when the student returns to school from the day that they were absent.
- Come into school and report absence
Tardy: If a student is tardy for school they have a 15-minute window (MTThF: Between 9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. and Wednesday 9:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.) to report straight to class in the morning. After 9:15 a.m., students are to report to the attendance office with or without excuse to retrieve a tardy pass, then report immediately to class. Class periods following the first period of the school day have the same protocol as first period, students will have to report to the attendance office for a tardy pass and return to class if tardy by 15 minutes or more. Student tardiness can be reported in the same manner as a reported absence.
Early Dismissal: Students are allowed to leave early from school with permission from parent/guardian. If a student needs to leave or be released early from school there is more than one way to report it.
- The student may bring a note on the morning of the day in which the student will be dismissed early. The note must specify the time that they will need to be dismissed from school.
- Call the school on the morning of the day in which the student will be dismissed early and specify the time that the student will need to be dismissed from school.
Truant: Students will show up on a truancy list after 18 PERIODS of either absence, unexcused absence, tardy, unexcused tardy, tardy 30 minutes or more. There are two different types of letters you may receive for students that are considered truant. Families that receive a truancy letter are able to call in or stop by to correct any attendance. After receiving 3 letters and no contact from parent and or guardian the school then goes forward with the next step in attendance protocol through the district.
If you have any questions or concerns about the attendance of your child please feel free to call, email, or stop by Ms. Hearne’s office (RM116) and she will assist you.