Who qualifies as a foster youth?
- Children/youth who are dependents of the Dependency section of the juvenile court
- Children/youth residing in out of home placement as ordered by the Delinquency section of the Juvenile Court,
- SFUSD will enroll a foster child immediately even if the foster child is unable to produce records or clothing normally required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency, other documentation, or school uniforms.
- To ensure a student’s appropriate school placement, we encourage all relevant documents be provided at the time of enrollment.
School of Origin Rights
- When a home placement change occurs, a foster child is allowed to remain in his/her school of origin while under the jurisdiction of the court.
- If a foster child exits foster care mid-year they are allowed to remain in his/her school of origin for the duration of the school year.
- High school students whose court jurisdiction terminates while they are in high school, can remain in their School of Origin through graduation.
- If the home placement is out of county, an inter-district transfer is required; however, school placement will not be delayed.
To find out more information about foster youth resources including free tutoring, contact SFUSD’s Foster Youth Services Coordinating Program (FYSCP) 415-242-2615 Or visit www.healthiersf.org/fys.