ABOUT MS. HONG
Hi! My name is Vivian Hong and I teach first grade at Junipero Serra Elementary School. I started my teaching career in Kindergarten where I spent 5 wonderful years and then moved up to first grade. There was nothing I didn’t love about my 22 years of teaching in the primary classrooms.
When I’m not teaching children and working with teachers, I’m busy being mom to my awesome children. My twins (boy and girl) are in 4th grade. They are my greatest blessings and have completely changed who I am as an educator and person!
Ms. Hong (Room 104)
OUR CLASSROOM DONATIONS
Please donate these items throughout the school year:
- glue sticks
- erasers or eraser caps
- cardstock colored paper such as Astrobrights
- hand sanitizer such as Purell
- facial tissue boxes
- disinfectant wipes such as Clorox Wipes
OUR CLASSROOM RULES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- We raise our hand in class.
- We listen to each other.
- We keep our hands and feet to ourselves.
- We use our words to tell how we are feeling.
We walk in the classroom.
Following expectations is something we will continually discuss in class. Please review these rules with your child. It is important for every child to follow these expectations in class. There will be consequences for those that choose to interrupt our school day. It is the right of every student to be able to come to school and be safe while learning at school. To keep our class happy and safe, we need to follow our classroom rules.
READING TIPS FOR FAMILIES:
- Do activities to help your child build sound skills (make sure they are short and fun; avoid allowing your child to get frustrated)
- Help your child think of a number of words that start with the /m/ or /ch/ sound, or other beginning sounds.
- Make up sentences with words that begin with the same sound, such as "Pete was painting pictures with Patty.”
- Play simple rhyming or blending games with your child, such as taking turns coming up with words that rhyme (go – no) or blending words (/sh/, /o/, /p/ = shop).
- Consider using computer software that focuses on developing phonological and phonemic awareness skills. Many of these programs use colorful graphics and animation that keep young children engaged and motivated. An educational website that our school uses is www.starfall.com.