Information for Distributing Promotional Materials and Events with SFUSD
New Flier Process- Effective November 6, 2023
Who can distribute promotional materials (including fliers or documents) at SFUSD?
SFUSD sponsored or co-sponsored, a registered nonprofit with a current MOU with SFUSD, or a government organization.
Materials must have a clear educational enrichment purpose at SFUSD. The district reserves the right to refuse any distribution request.
Submissions will not be approved if your organization does not meet the above requirements.
Information on establishing an MOU with SFUSD can be found on this webpage Please note that SFUSD will not enter into an MOU solely to distribute materials or publicity. An MOU is appropriate only to interact with students on an ongoing basis, and/or to provide services at school site(s), for students, staff and/or families.
SFUSD does not accept promotional materials with any of the following:
- Corporate promotion
- For-profit advertising
- Promotions for dances, parties, etc.
- Educational materials that have not been reviewed and approved by Curriculum and Instruction or the Student, Family, Community Support Department
- Content inconsistent with the mission or policies of SFUSD
- Political materials, endorsements, walk-outs, demonstration notices, fundraisers, etc.
- Recruitment of students or staff to an independent, charter or private school
How do I submit my flier for approval?
- Access our online request form. You must answer questions 1-4
- Non-SFUSD organizations must have a current MOU with SFUSD or be a government organization
- A PDF of the flier or document you intend to distribute. The name associated with the MOU or government organization must appear and match the name or logo on the flier.
- Please allow up to 14 business days for staff review and processing. You will be notified of approval or rejection via email. Approval is valid for 90 days.
What languages should my materials be in?
While we do not have requirements for third-party organizations, we strongly recommend that essential information for all SFUSD families be translated in Spanish, Chinese (traditional), Arabic, Samoan, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.
How do I request online announcements (OASIS, FAB, and newsletters) for staff, family, and student opportunities within the district?
- When filling out our online request form and answer "5. Do you want to promote your event in OASIS and FAB?" with "Yes." You will then be asked for more details about your posting.
- If you receive approval for your flier, this is confirmation that your event will be promoted online.
- OASIS announcements are for SFUSD staff. FAB* announcements are for SFUSD families, students, and community members.
*FAB announcements are not guaranteed. SFUSD reserves the right to select posts for publication based on relevance and timing each week.
How do I distribute promotional materials at SFUSD sites?
- Bring a print out of your stamped materials to show school site staff, as well as a copy of the email approving your distribution request.
- To distribute the materials through SFUSD's Internal Mail System, complete the Request to Distribute Materials Form
- Contact the Document Publishing and Distribution Center with distribution questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 415-355-6999
Can I submit a flyer to be posted on a school bulletin board?
If the school has designated a space for community flyers, such materials may be approved using the same approval process and criteria that are used for the distribution of materials.
Who can assist with distributing materials to school sites?
- Please note that distribution is provided as a community service. SFUSD neither endorses nor sponsors any activity that is approved and reserves the right to deny any request. Approvals may take up to 14 business days to review.
- Materials can be distributed to school sites via our Document Publishing and Distributions department for a small fee. Distribution forms with the breakdown of costs can be found in the Request to Distribute Materials Distribution form.
- To contact the Document Publishing and Distribution Center, email email@example.com or call 415-355-6999
- Materials distribution FAQ
For the approval of textbook materials, please contact Textbook, Libraries, and Media Services at 415-469-4000 for review.
How do I submit an event to the SFUSD website calendar?
Submit your event to the SFUSD Calendar at least two weeks in advance of the event. Relevant events are:
- Open to the public
- Run by SFUSD, a registered nonprofit with a current MOU with SFUSD, or a government organization
How long does it take to process my request?
Please allow up to 14 business days from the date submitted online. You will receive a confirmation email once your request has been processed. Please refrain from sending duplicate requests as it may delay your process.
Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
Please contact the Communications Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-241-6565.
This page was last updated on January 10, 2024