April 13, 2020
Dear SFUSD Families:
Happy Monday! I hope you had a restful weekend. Today was the first day of Teacher-Led Distance Learning. Watch this short video, which explains this phase of our distance learning plan.
This week, the priority for educators is to reconnect with their students. You should receive communication from your child’s teacher(s). Your child will be asked to engage in about four hours of daily school work, including teacher-led instruction, independent activities, and collaboration with peers.
We know that families and students alike may have many questions about how to log into various online learning tools and systems. I encourage you to explore all of our family technology resources. Check out this fast way to get to the main online tools our students are using during distance learning. Learn more about Google Classroom including this helpful brief video.
Beginning Wednesday, April 15, we are opening two additional meal pickup sites: El Dorado Elementary and Longfellow Elementary. For a full list of additional pickup times and locations, please visit our website at sfusd.edu/schoolfood.
The City has updated information about where to get food resources. You may also call 311 to get help finding resources.
Technology Resources to Support Distance Learning
- Get Started with Technology: Visit sfusd.edu/familytechnology to get support with using Chromebooks and accessing learning tools, video conferencing tools, and email through your child’s SFUSD Google account.
- Need your child’s Google account? Find your child’s Google email and password through ParentVUE: portal.sfusd.edu under “Student Info/Accept Offer” tab. You can also find this information on the ParentVue app under “Student Info” and then “Additional Information”. Visit sfusd.edu/parentvue/studentlogin for step-by-step instructions and a video.
- The safety and security of our students is a top priority. SFUSD has recently implemented additional security measures to require students to log into distance learning tools and platforms with their SFUSD Google account.
- Virtual Meetings with Students: Teacher(s) may ask students to participate in an interactive online meeting (video conference) using Zoom, Google Classroom and/or Google Hangouts Meet. For help with logging into Zoom, visit Accessing/Updating Your Account.
- Other Technology Reminders:
Reminder - Pick Up PreK-2 Learning Kit
We continue to distribute learning kits throughout this week. Kits include learning materials like journals, crayons and pencils, books and a packet of learning activities.
- When: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm through Friday, April 17
- Where: Any of these nine school sites (or your own school site - if your school reached out directly) (find school addresses): Cesar Chavez ES; Muir ES; Tenderloin ES; Bessie Carmichael K-8; Bret Harte ES; Rosa Parks ES; Sheridan ES; Visitacion Valley ES; AP Giannini MS.
- Tomorrow only (Tuesday, April 14) from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm, we will be distributing PK-2 learning kits at Gordon J. Lau ES.
Reminder - 2020-2021 Enrollment Deadlines EXTENDED to April 17
Health and Wellness
New ways of finding resources are available every day. FindHelp prompts you to enter your zip code and then offers information on a number of different topics: food assistance, help paying bills, and other free or reduced cost programs, including new programs recently created to support people during this pandemic.
Looking for more creative ways to learn at home? Want to hear some of our talented SFUSD librarians read a book? Check out this new site to see what our SFUSD librarians have created for you!
Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews