April 20, 2020
Dear SFUSD Families:
As we head into a new week, please know that we appreciate all that you are doing as a parent right now. Also, we recognize that many families are in need of extra support right now. The San Francisco Human Rights Commission has a Community Coronavirus Resource Guide with helpful information on health and wellness, evictions, power and water, and other city services.
Reminder - Continuity of Learning Technology Resources
- Get your child’s Google account: Your child’s SFUSD-provided Google account gives them access to a variety of learning and collaboration resources.
- Need Help? Visit sfusd.edu/familytechnology to get support with the technology resources that support your child’s learning, including:
- Virtual meetings with students
- Stay connected via Family Portal (ParentVUE)
- If you need help with ParentVUE, please submit a request at bit.ly/familyportalhelp.
- Borrow a Chromebook, if needed - distributions this week
- Get help connecting to the internet.
Reminder - Food Resources
Health and Wellness
Dr. Rupa Mayra is a University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) physician working on the front lines of the COVID-19 response. Here are some of her recommendations to best support our health and help us to learn and grow in a difficult time.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to keep your body well hydrated.
- Cook foods with natural immune boosters like garlic, ginger, turmeric, parsley, thyme, sage, and bone broth.
- Spend time outdoors each day. Make sure to get sun on your bare skin to activate vitamin D.
- Sing out loud! It expands lung capacity and the stimulation of the vagal nerve can calm your body’s overdrive from stress.
- Hold your little kids close and love your big kids well. They are awesome and won’t be young forever.
- Advocate for things you believe in and start a practice of imagining the world the way you want it to be.
See more of Dr. Rupa Mayra’s tips.
The pilot episode of “SF Loves Learning,” an hour-long TV program created entirely by San Francisco public school educators and special guests especially for PreK-2nd grade students in San Francisco, aired on KTVU Plus today! If you missed it, don’t worry - you can watch clips on our website. Tune in to KTVU Plus tomorrow from 2-3 p.m. for our next episode (here’s a sneak preview: you will see lots of butterflies)!
Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews