August 19, 2020
Dear SFUSD Families:
Happy first week of school! I hope your child is finding ways to connect with their teachers and peers. I’m so impressed with the creativity of our educators. Leola M. Havard Early Education Center had their youngest scholars do a scavenger hunt around their house for things that started with different letters. One teacher at Carver Elementary created a virtual classroom that almost fooled me as it looked so real!
Please keep reading today’s digest for important updates about technology resources, new requirements to access school meals, and how we’re taking attendance.
Student Attendance for Fall 2020
We want to remind you that attendance is taken everyday, even during the first week of school. Reach out to your school if you are having any challenges participating. Parents and caregivers may view attendance data in ParentVUE.
Students are expected to actively participate in instruction, daily, as informed by their teachers. Participation will take many forms and may include:
- Attending a Zoom class, with or without camera on.
- Joining a Google hangout, with or without speaking.
- Participating in a group chat(s).
- Direct email, call, or text with their teacher.
- Evidence of completion and submission of assignments.
- Assignments may be submitted via district-designated platforms, or via emails, photos, phone conferences, or other forms of documentation (as appropriate).
Grab & Go Meals Available for SFUSD Students
Every Wednesday, 10:30-12, a bag of 5 days' worth of meals (including breakfast, lunch, supper, fresh fruits and vegetables, and milk) is available to pick up from 18 school sites. Adults can pick up meals for children. Families must provide the student’s barcode for their meal account when picking up meals. To pick up meals for multiple students, please present each student’s barcode mailed to your home. You can also show the barcode on your smartphone via the SchoolCafe app. For barcode assistance, see below.
Free meals are available to students who qualify or attend CEP schools. If your student is not eligible for free or reduced-price meals, $22.50 per bag will be charged to their SchoolCafe account. Visit sfusd.edu/schoolfood.
Meal Barcode Assistance Sites: August 21, 8AM - 3PM: If you did not receive your student’s meal account barcode in the mail, you can visit one of nine school sites, Friday, August 21 to receive a printed copy.
Apply Now for 20-21 School Meal Benefits
The Multipurpose Family Income form for the 20-21 school year is available online at sfusd.edu/MFIF. The form is available in English, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese. A new application needs to be submitted each school year to qualify for meal benefits. Even if your child does not eat school meals, we ask you to submit this form to secure classroom funding. Meal benefits are available regardless of citizenship status and eligible families should continue to apply; the “public charge” rule does not apply to school meal programs. For assistance, please reach out to SNS at 415-749-3604 or SchoolLunch@sfusd.edu.
Virtual Meeting Resources for Families
You can find information on student norms for online learning and how students and families can use our district-approved conferencing tools (Google Hangouts Meet and Zoom) on the Virtual Meetings for Families page.
Need technology help?
- Technology Videos: Check out the Family Technology Video Tutorials page at sfusd.edu/family-technology-tutorials for videos on how to use district Chromebooks, hotspots, ParentVue, and digital platforms
- Free 1:1 technology support is available for parents and guardians! In collaboration with the San Francisco Education Fund, SFUSD has recruited tech volunteers to provide personal phone and video support on basic questions about Zoom, Google Meet, Google Classroom, and Seesaw. Sign up for an appointment! ← (Click or tap here). Volunteers can support you for up to 30 minutes. Tech appointments are available in multiple languages
- Student Logins: Learn how to locate your student’s SFUSD username and password or Clever badge (for PK-2 grades) to access SFUSD digital platforms.
FYI: Muni service expansion Aug. 22
Muni is reinstating some more services effective Aug. 22. Learn more on the SFMTA website.
Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews