Testing is a very important part of keeping our schools safe by caring for ourselves and others and helping to stop the spread of COVID-19. Participating in testing for COVID-19 helps us to support students and school staff to know when to isolate if they test positive for COVID-19. Getting tested for COVID-19 when your child is identified as a close contact may allow them to return to school sooner if they test negative.
SFUSD is making reliable testing available to students and staff regularly since last Spring through our partnership with Color.
Color PCR testing is available for all students and staff at school sites and via self-swab kits.
Please NOTE: SFUSD staff are NOT expected to help students or families with self swab sampling.
- Self-swab kits can be dropped off at any of the following: (1) any school site on the courier pick-up route before 10 a.m., (2) any of the mobile testing sites, or (3) any central office drop-off locations from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Instructions for use are included in the kit. Multilingual instructions are also available.
If you are symptomatic or have been identified as a close contact, please visit these testing locations.
Help SFUSD get reimbursed!
We committed to helping SFUSD staff, families, and student access free COVID-19 tests, and are strongly encouraging families with health insurance to provide their health insurance information.
The reimbursement will helps SFUSD lower the costs for testing services that we are dramatically scaling up to meet the unprecedented need. Families will not be billed for the test, and tests will continue to be available to staff and students who do not have health insurance at no cost.
How to Register for Color Testing (flier with multilingual options):
Steps - To Create A COLOR Account
- Ask your school site/office for you child’s Student No (student number)
- You can also find it on ParentVUE
- Register with the Color (https://home.color.com/activate) (First Time Only) using the Student No
- Use COLOR Kit as directed based on timeline below
- Symptomatic Students: can use test kit immediately
- Close Contacts:
- Vaccinated Students: test on day 3-5
- Unvaccinated Students: quarantine and test on day 5
Unmonitored Testing Procedure
- Students age 18 and older may self-collect their own samples without adult supervision.
- Samples for students ages 14-17 may be self-collected under adult supervision.
- Samples for students ages 2-13 may be collected with adult assistance