SFUSD’s Student Nutrition Services has been offering free meals for all students during the 2021-22 school year thanks to temporary flexibilities granted by USDA waivers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Thankfully, CA Meals for All is set to begin in the 2022-23 school year, which allows us to continue providing 100% free meals for 100% of kids! CA Meals for All is great news because:
All students eat for free.
- CA Meals for All ensures daily access to a free breakfast and free lunch for all students, regardless of program eligibility. This benefits families at all income levels!
- Prior to California Meals for All, a family of four who makes $49,026 per year still would not qualify for free school meals, despite the high cost of living in San Francisco.
No application necessary for students to receive a meal.
- Classroom funding is still reliant on the Multipurpose Family Income Form - please continue to apply annually!
Free meals foster a more positive culture around school meals.
- Children can focus on learning instead of being hungry or feeling uncomfortable choosing school meals.
- Nutrition program staff can focus on supporting students directly, not collecting payments.
School meals are healthy!
- Having a consistent option for healthy meals helps nourish students to prepare them for life inside and outside the classroom.
- SFUSD will continue to hold to high quality and nutrition standards, which meet or exceed guidelines provided by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and California Department of Education (CDE).