Labor Relations Resources
SFUSD has 16 bargaining units representing approximately 96% of all district employees. The Labor Relations Department supports and facilitates all District schools and departments in their partnership with our labor unions and union leadership. Navigate below for more information on our union partners, contracts, salary schedules, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Daniel Menezes, Acting Chief of Labor Relations firstname.lastname@example.org
Carrie Slaughter, Labor Relations Director email@example.com
Liliana Cortez, Labor Relations Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Bianca Nunez, Labor Relations Manager email@example.com
SFUSD's Labor Partners
United Educators of San Francisco
- UESF was founded in 1989 when the San Francisco Federation of Teachers merged with the San Francisco Classroom Teachers to become the United Educators of San Francisco.
- Classifications represented: Teachers, Paraeducators, Counselors, Social Workers, Nurses, and more.
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 7540
- For more information, visit UESF’s website at https://uesf.org
United Administrators of San Francisco
- In May of 1970, the organizing group of San Francisco School Administrators and Supervisors gained recognition from the new national Union, the American Federation of School Administrators, a part of the AFL-CIO family of Unions. Today there are over 151 active locals of the American Federation of School Administrators, serving both large urban and small suburban administrators groups.
- Classifications represented: Assistant Principals, Principals, Program Administrators, and more.
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 297
- For more information, visit UASF’s website at https://www.uasf.net/
Service Employees International Union
- The Building Service Employees Union (BSEIU) first formed in Chicago in 1921 - today, SEIU has over 2 million members and celebrated 100 years of service on April 23, 2021.
- Classifications represented: Clerks, Custodians, School Lunchroom Helpers, and more.
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 1060
- For more information, visit SEIU’s website at https://www.seiu.org/
- For 121 years, Organized Labor has been the official publication of the San Francisco Building and Construction Trades Council.
- Classifications represented: Carpenters, Sheet Metal Workers, Glaziers, Roofers, and more.
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 59
- For more information, visit the San Francisco Building and Construction Trades Council website at https://www.sfbuildingtradescouncil.org/
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Founded in 1891, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) is a labor union that represents approximately 775,000 workers and retirees in the electrical industry in the United States, Canada, Guam, Panama, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
- Classifications represented: Electricians
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 10
- For more information, visit IBEW’s website at https://ibew6.org/
International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers
- Though officially chartered as Local 21 in April 1977, this union has represented technical professionals employed by local government since the early 1900s. Local 21 is an innovative, growing union of over 11,000 professional, supervisory, and managerial government employees in major jurisdictions throughout the Bay Area.
- Classifications represented: Accountants, Business Analysts, Statisticians, and more.
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 74
- For more information, visit Local 21’s website at https://ifpte21.org/
International Union of Operating Engineers
- The International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) was organized and established on December 7, 1896 as a craft labor Union with two divisions - Hoisting and Portable Engineers and Stationary Engineers.
- Classifications represented: Engineers
- Number of SFUSD unit members: 11
- For more information, visit Local 39’s website at https://www.local39.org/
Current Collective Bargaining Agreements
Click through this section for copies of all current collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) with our labor partners.
UESF Certificated Contract
UESF Classified Contract
SEIU Local 1021 Contract
Common Crafts Contract
IBEW, Local 6 Contract
IFPTE, Local 21 Contract
IUOE, Local 39 Contract
COVID-19 & Distance Learning MOUs
SFUSD has been working with labor partners to prepare for safe return to in-person learning, including negotiating terms for safety, distance, and hybrid learning models, as well as verifying and monitoring execution of existing agreements. You can find a list of all 2021 COVID-19 and distance learning/return-to-in-person MOUs below.
10/25/21 UESF, UASF, IFPTE 21 & SEIU Addendum No. 2 MOU Re: Health and Safety
SEIU Addendum No. 2 Health & Safety SY 2021-22 (*pending SEIU signature)
9/27/2021: UESF, UASF, IFPTE 21 & SEIU 1021 Side Letter Re: COVID-19 Contact Tracing, Notifications & Smart Sheet Entries
8/11/2021: UESF, UASF, IFPTE 21 & SEIU Addendum MOU Re: Health & Safety Standards
UESF, UASF, IFPTE 21 & SEIU Addendum MOU Re: Health & Safety Standards (*pending SEIU signature)
7/29/2021: SEIU MOU Re: Health & Safety
6/23/2021: IFPTE, Local 21 MOU Re: The Period of COVID-19 School and Worksite Closures & Partial Reopening
5/7/2021: UASF MOU Re: Reopening Schools and Worksites for the 21-22SY
5/7/2021: UESF MOU Re: Return to In-Person Instruction for 12th Grade Students
4/12/2021: UESF MOU Re: Secondary Students Focal Populations Return to In-Person Instruction
3/5/2021: UESF MOU Re: In-Person, Hybrid & Distance Learning
2/11/2021: All-Union MOU Re: Health & Safety Standards
Bargaining Updates and Summaries
As Labor Relations continues to bargain with our labor partners, periodic updates will be made available. You can click through this section to read about the status of current and previous negotiations. Full summaries on executed agreements can be found here.