The McCoppin Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee
Welcome McCoppin Families!
The Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion committee (DEI) at Frank McCoppin acknowledges and honors that we inhabit Ramaytush Ohlone land, and that we must work together to ensure justice and equity among all our communities.
We are committed to ensuring that all our families feel welcomed, recognized and represented at our school, and that it is our diverse voices which makes our community strong.
Throughout the year, we engage with our community in multiple ways, from providing educational materials and resources, as well as hosting live conversations with guest speakers on a variety of topics. These resources include articles, videos, podcasts and activities to help facilitate conversations at home and in the classroom across all ages and grades. Our live conversations have included, “How to talk about race and racism,” with guest speaker Dr. Colette Cann, and “A conversation on Mental Health,” with licensed family therapist Kristina Gonzalez.
In the next school year, we hope to impact our McCoppin community in the following ways:
- Recruit language volunteers to help translate communications from the school and between teachers and families, further ensuring equity among our community. We are still looking for Arabic, Mongolian and Tagalog language volunteers. If you are able to volunteer, please get in touch!
- Create and maintain a book wish list for classrooms and the literacy room with titles requested by teachers and staff. Teachers and staff can access the books in the literacy room to use in the classroom or for professional development.
- Work with teachers/staff to find professional development opportunities and fundraise as needed.
- Continue to share monthly educational materials and/or resources.
- Partner with neighboring elementary schools to host live conversations with guest speakers on anti racist education and practice.
If you have an interest in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee or would like to learn more, we would LOVE to have you! We welcome your ideas, feedback and help, so our McCoppin community can thrive.