COVID-19 Testing for SY 2022-2023
Central office locations are now open for with Color molecular test kits and drop off for SFUSD students and staff:
- 555 Franklin Street (Civic Center)
- 834 Toland Street (Bayview)
- 135 Van Ness Ave (Civic Center)
- 750 25th Avenue (Richmond)
- 3045 Santiago (Sunset)
- 1515 Quintara (Sunset)
- 20 Cook (Inner Richmond)
- Last Day for Central Office Pick Up for SY 2022 will be 2 pm, December 24th.
- Central Offices are closed from Dec. 27-30th (no pick ups)
- School Based and Central Office pick ups will resume on January 3rd
Molecular take-home test kits are available at all SFUSD schools and central sites for SFUSD students and staff.
- Please see Fall Testing Information and Schedule for more information
Drop-off times for samples:
- School sites: before 10 a.m.
- Central office sites: Monday-Friday before 4:30 p.m.
Pick-up times vary. Please see sticker on bin to see if samples have been picked up for the day.
For city testing options, please visit sf.gov/drop-testing.
Testing Options at SFUSD
Testing is a very important part of keeping our schools safe by caring for ourselves and others and helping to stop the spread of COVID-19. Participating in testing for COVID-19 helps us to support students and school staff to know when to isolate if they test positive for COVID-19. Getting tested for COVID-19 when your child is identified as a close contact may allow them to return to school sooner if they test negative.
There are multiple ways that SFUSD is providing COVID-19 testing to students, staff, and families.
|Test Type||Test Results||Registration||How to Get Tested|
|Molecular test* via Color||
Contact Color at 844-352-6567 for help
|Rapid antigen test||
We distribute test kits as we receive them from the California Department of Public Health
* Color's lab uses RT-LAMP technology. LAMP, just like PCR, is a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Color uses LAMP technology because of supply chain robustness and scalability.
Students and staff with COVID-19 symptoms before school should not come onto school campus.
Testing is not mandatory. All students will be able to come to school if a family chooses not to have them participate in COVID-19 testing.
Check out our frequently asked questions about monitoring and testing for COVID-19.
Non-SFUSD Testing Options
Free and low-cost testing options:
- Find free or low-cost testing at pharmacies and community-based sites.
- Get free tests at San Francisco-run sites. If you have health insurance, the City will bill your insurance.
- If you have health insurance, your insurance must cover 8 home tests per person each month. Check your insurance company’s website to see how to get tests by pick up or reimbursement.
For more information about COVID-19 testing, or to find a testing site near you, visit sf.gov/gettested or call SFDPH’s COVID Resource Center at 628-652-2700.
After Getting Test Results
If you or your student has COVID-19 symptoms, stay at home and do not go to school until you receive a negative test result. Symptoms include: fever greater than 100.4° F, chills, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, headache, new loss of smell or taste, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, body aches, or fatigue. Find COVID-19 testing options for symptomatic students.
If the test is positive:
- Report positive cases to 415-660-9850 or email email@example.com
- Stay home and isolate for at least 5 days
- Students can return if they test negative after 6 days since symptoms first appeared or 10 days without a negative test since symptoms first appeared
Learn more about isolation and quarantine guidelines.
This page was last updated on December 14, 2022