At-Home Test Kit Instructions
Review the steps and instructions (translations) for using your at-home test kit.
When to Use At-Home Tests
COVID-19 testing is not required. SFDPH recommends use of at-home tests when:
- Returning to schools if exhibiting symptoms
- Returning to school from isolation on or after 5 days, and
- Screening after holidays, even if you are not symptomatic
- If your student gets sick with symptoms (like cough and fever), stay home and use your tests to see if it is COVID-19.
- If your student is exposed to someone with COVID-19, use your tests within 3-5 days after last exposure.
You can also access testing at locations throughout San Francisco, which includes your primary health care provider and community and public testing sites.
For more information about COVID-19 testing, or to find a testing site near you, visit sf.gov/getttested or call SFDPH’s COVID Resource Center at 628-652-2700.
- Steps and instructions (Español | 中文 | عربي | Gagana Sāmoa | Tagalog | Tiếng Việt) for using the at-home kit
At-Home Test Distribution Schedule
For 2022-23, schools will distribute over-the-counter (OTC) antigen test kits to staff and students for use after holidays. These test kits are provided by the California Department of Health (CDPH). Students and staff will receive two tests for each distribution.
More test kits may be distributed depending on public health trends.
Note: Schools may receive tests that are past their expiration dates, but the FDA has extended those dates. If you have a question about expiration dates, you can access this FDA website that lists which test manufacturers have extended expiration dates and what the dates are.
|Schools hand out kits to students and staff on...||Use test on...|
|Week of Mar. 20, 2023||Apr. 3, 2023
(before returning from Spring Break)
|Week of May 22, 2023||June 1, 2023
(before returning from Memorial Day and for use during the summer)
This page was last updated on March 14, 2023