MOU timelines & procedures - including COVID requirements.
Be sure to allow at least a week for us to review a proposed MOU & identify any needed revisions - before sending you the PDF for signatures.
- Many procedures have changed! Be sure to review the FAQs and avoid these common Reasons MOUs are Delayed.
- Before you get started: be sure to check with the appropriate SFUSD contact to clarify your services, proposed locations and other details.
- See below for detailed information about requirements and navigating the MOU process.
How does it work? See FAQs and other resources!
Before you get started: be sure to check with the appropriate SFUSD contact to clarify your services, proposed locations and other details.
- Our Step by Step Guide provides instructions, examples and screenshots that walk you through the process.
- See the Top Five Reasons MOUs Are Delayed - and some tips to avoid the # 1 Challenge
- This infographic shows the process from getting started through approval by the Board of Education.
- Confirm the timeline & deadlines for submitting MOUs for Board of Education approval. Be sure to allow at least a week for your proposed MOU to be reviewed and revised as needed, before we send you the PDF ready for signatures.
COVID Vaccination Requirements & Safety Protocols for In-Person Services
COVID safety guidelines.
- Masking is now strongly recommended but not required at all district schools and work sites, including Early Educatio, Transitional Kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools.
- Find updated guidelines at SFUSD's Health & Safety Guidelines website.
- SFUSD continues to require all in-person service providers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; or, if they cannot receive the COVID vaccine due to disability or a sincerely held religious belief, to be tested weekly. A person is considered “fully” vaccinated two weeks after completing the initial COVID vaccine series as well as recommended boosters, consistent with SF DPH guidelines.
- See below for detailed information about these requirements, including Vaccination FAQs .
Service providers are responsible for:
- Ensuring their staff and/or volunteers have been fully vaccinated or have a waiver and are being tested (similar to the responsibility for doing criminal background checks and TB clearance).
- Reporting to the SF Department of Public Health (SF DPH) any positive cases of their volunteers and/or staff working with students
- Coordinating with the school(s) you serve regarding their “Close Contact Notification” process.
- Knowing the names of students you are serving in each classroom or other school setting - for the Contact Tracing process to work!
- Please note that procedures will continue to shift as the State of California & San Francisco Department of Public Health revise COVID guidelines based on public health conditions. Find current information at SFUSD's Health & Safety Guidelines website.
- Service providers also must comply with San Francisco DPH guidelines. SF DPH has a one-stop guide for schools, childcare programs, and programs for children and youth.
Organizations with an existing MOU executed before August 2021
You will need to complete a one-page Amendment to certify their compliance with this requirement.
- Organizations with multiple existing MOUs and/or contracts need to complete just one Amendment form (not a separate form for each MOU and each contract).
- If you're submitting a new MOU, you do not need to complete the amendment form as this certification language is included in the terms for new MOUs.
How to submit an Amendment to prior, existing MOU(s)
Download this one-page Amendment form, and complete all the fillable fields (which are highlighted in light blue)
An authorized representative of your organization must sign this Amendment. You may provide an electronic signature on the PDF; or print a hard copy to sign, then scan the signed document.
Email the PDF of the signed Amendment to Partnerships@sfusd.edu
By signing this form, your organization certifies the information on it to be true and accurate, under penalty of perjury.
We will note receipt of the signed Amendment on the public MOU status spreadsheet and submit the Amendment for approval by the Board of Education.
School sites will verify your Amendment has been received before staff and/or volunteers are permitted to provide in-person services at a school.
Confirm the status of an MOU
Check this list to clarify the term for an existing MOU (including when it will, or if it did, expire).
- Check the tab for MOUs in Process to see which are pending approval by the Board of Education.
- New! The list of MOUs now includes links to the online platform to view details about services, including the locations!
- Here’s how to create a user account to see online MOUs, if you don't already have a user / member account.
Who needs a Memorandum of Understanding, or MOU?
Resources for Navigating the Process
Programs funded by the Dept. of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF)
Requirements have changed! DCYF grantees need an MOU with SFUSD only when providing services at a school site (in person) or through a school (if providing services virtually).
Read the updated FAQs with common questions for DCYF grantees.
Check out these scenarios for providing services & clarify which forms you'll need.
See the short deck: MOUs 101 for DCYF Grantees
Already have a login to the ExCEL / QAP platform in Salesforce? How to create your MOU login.
Videos to help you navigate the system
Forms you might need for programs or services at SFUSD schools.
Check this flow chart to identify other forms you might need when providing services at SFUSD schools.
Requesting Student Data?
Be sure to read SFUSD's guidelines for sharing student data.
SFUSD's templates for parent/guardian consent, and for requesting student data (in multiple languages).
SFUSD template to request Directory Information for students/families.
Service providers who access student data must complete the Oath of Confidentiality (which service providers must keep on file)
Providing Food and/or Beverages to Students & Families
SFUSD prioritizes the wellbeing of our students and their families! Service providers must follow SFUSD's Wellness & Nutrition Guidelines when providing snacks, refreshments and meals. See www.sfusd.edu/bewell
Organizations providing food and/or beverages to students more than once a week as part of their programs must complete this Food Providers Application.
This page was last updated on May 20, 2022